Season done, what's next.

If it not specific to a certain category, put it here.
sandyf
Sigmund Freud
Sigmund Freud

Season done, what's next.

Post by sandyf » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:02 pm

A lost season where we can find blame all around, so I am focused on the off season and the draft.

For the off season, it is about resigning those that we can/want, cuts that need to be made, free agents to wish to sign because Dallas most likely will not, and looking at next year's schedule which will be the schedule of the 2nd place in the division. The 2nd place schedule will include either the Lions/Packers (winner of next weeks game) and Seahawks along with Jacksonville, Houston, Tennessee, Indy, New Orleans, Atlanta, Carolina, and Tampa Bay. Not an easy schedule by any means but then they never are.

We have some decisions to be made as to signing some guys such as Martin RG, Lawrence DE, Irving DT, Hitchens LB and possibly Wilbur. We might and hopefully make a few cuts and they include Bryant WR and Scandrick CB. Those two would not surprise me although I seriously doubt we cut either one.

As to the coaching staff, probably a couple of guys with expiring contracts but a change at OC is probably not coming although it should. To many cute plays and not enough playing to win instead of safe, and certainly not enough brains to provide help on the left when your LT is out, that alone cost us at least 3 games.

As to free agency, there is always the question of where to go and it is all subjective to the fans but rarely to the coaching staff. We just have to try to understand what they are looking for and why. So in the interest of what I see, I will look at what we need to be a much better team in 2018. First, to me is we need a swing tackle, someone that could do a decent job on either side if a guy is out, frankly neither Bell or Green or the answer. The question becomes do we sign a free agent or draft one or both. Dallas has always done a good job of taking the reject, the bust, and turn them around so for me it is a both situation. I would sign Greg Robinson who is only 25 and coach him up to be the swing guy then in the draft around the 3rd round draft a guy.

Second is WR, it just has to be. No separation means no catches and that is what we always seem to have. Is it the scheme or the players or both. Why does New England always have open WR and TE, yet we cannot seem to have either. Not sure of the right answer but what we have isn't working. Sure Romo and Dez seem to have a good re pore but looking back at old games from even 4 years ago, it wasn't great. Dez would make an excellent #2 but he doesn't scare any team as the #1. Butler shouldn't be resigned and not sure even if Williams should be kept. We need difference makers at WR and we don't really have one yet. As to TE, love me some Witten but we have to find that replacement NOW. So what I see is in free agency, it would be nice to get a Sammy Watkins because believe he isn't getting top $ from the Rams or Allen Robinson although coming off an ACL could be tricky but they are both better than Dez. I still would draft one in the first two rounds and Calvin Ridley would be my hope and also would draft a TE (at least one) in the first 3/4 rounds. Keeping Dez to me is a mistake unless he is the #2 guy, heck even the #3 guy.

Third is shoring up the LB spot, simply put start looking for Lee's replacement, someone you trust when Lee is out. Probably will be a draft pick and early on. The defense actually was starting to put it all together and could be even better next year.

The fourth thing is the draft and it scares me. We have done a good job the last few years although with hosting the draft and with Jerry's spotlight, just afraid he will want to shine and that could bring about a huge mistake. Need to stick to the script and find football players that want to win every play. Then again we need a coaching staff that doesn't fear winning, you know like running the ball from the 2 yard line even when the defense knows you are going to run.

Anyway, my roster would look something like this which we all know will never happen.
QB - Prescott, Rush, Ferguson (7th round pick, probably PS)
RB - Elliott, Smith, Smith, Scarbough (4th round comp pick)
TE - Witten, Gathers, Jarwin, Schultz (4th round pick)
WR - Riley (1st round pick), Allen (FA), Williams, Beasley, Brown, Switzer
OT - Smith, Collins, Robinson (FA), Crosby (5th round comp pick)
OG - Martin (new contract), Cooper (resigned for 3 years), Looney, Allen (6th round pick)
OC - Fredrick, Wynn (3rd round pick)
ST - Bailey, Jones, Ladouceur
DE - Lawrence (resigned or franchised), Charlton, Crawford, Mayowa, Tapper, Gregory (big ? mark)
DT - Collins, Irving, Ash, Wilkins (1st round pick - believe Boys will trade 2019 1st and 2nd and Bryant to move back into 1st)
LB - Lee, Smith, Hitchens (resigned), Wilson, Wilbur (resigned), Teuhuma (5th round comp pick)
CB - Awuzie, Lewis, Brown, Scandrick, White
S - Frazier, Woods, Jones, Igwebuike (4th round comp pick)

One rumor going around is due to all the injuries this past year, owners looking at expanding rosters so every team must carry at least 3 QBs. Latest was going to 57 man roster with 50 game day active. Doubt anything comes from it though.
Cowboys Fan for over 45 years.
\"Cherish one's friends for in the end that is all one has! Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...holy sh!t...what a ride!\"

coolnerd
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Season done, what's next.

Post by coolnerd » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:34 pm

I agree 100% that Linehan needs to go. Way too cute at the goal line. Waaaay too ready to abandon the run game at the first sign of trouble. He can't see that the run game is what gets this team OUT of trouble. To be fair, that's on Garrett, too. The Head Coach needs to know when to rein in the OC. At midseason, Linehan was a frontrunner for a HC job somewhere. But needing 4 games to figure out how to score more than 9 points without Zeke may have cost him that.

Fairweather
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by Fairweather » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:51 am

No way we don't shore up the linebacker position early in the draft because there are some perfect fits available. We need insurance for Lee and Smith, and Hitchins might leave. A good speedy WR is what I've been wanting for years, but a great defense trumps that. Even without a WR upgrade our offense would be fine if we shore up the offensive line and offensive coordination.
I Am Ironman. The Suit And I Are One.

The Playmaker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Playmaker » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:43 pm

To me, gotta draft LB & Oline in rounds 1 and 2.

Two years ago, Dallas got 13 wins by running the ball over and through teams. This year, we lost Leary and Free then Tyron for several games and Dallas was just not the same team. Not only was the running game not the same but Dak was often running for his life. Keep to the script, draft another Oline-man.

IMO, both Lee and Jaylon Smith are one play from being done for their careers. Need to get at least one top LB in here.

It would also help if our stupid GM stopped rolling the dice with our draft picks on drug users, domestic abusers and injury rehab projects.

If this was New England, Dez would be long gone. This owner/GM doesnt have the will (or the balls) to cut Dez. Paying $15M to an aging WR is not a great recipe for success.

Fairweather
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by Fairweather » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:57 pm

Amen! :iamwithstupid:
I Am Ironman. The Suit And I Are One.

John
Site Man-at-Arms
Site Man-at-Arms

Post by John » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:11 pm

Agreed.
"I'm Batman!"

CanadaBruce
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by CanadaBruce » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:38 pm

Great post Sandy

We really need a fresh outlook for the Offense, Linehan should be gone, Way too cute and in an oddly predictable way

As much as Marinelli frustrates me, I like where the D looks to be headed so he should probably stay.

The Draft? Need a LBer badly and a #3 OT and a WR
"I think that a man with a helmet defending his country should make more money than a man with a helmet defending a football."

coolnerd
Veteran
Veteran

Post by coolnerd » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:58 pm

Yeah, LB is a must, given Lee's injuries and Hitchens' free agency. I'm sure the NYFL will suspend Damien Wilson for some or all of the season, as well. I sure wish Rolondo McClain had gotten his head straight, he was a stud at MLB and would have a few more good years left in him.