What we think we know

If it not specific to a certain category, put it here.
sandyf
Sigmund Freud
Sigmund Freud

What we think we know

Post by sandyf » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:42 am

With free agency down to the depth guys or camp fodder guys, time to see how and what and will do over the next few weeks and months.

Kony Ealy is making a visit today and could be decent depth at DE. If he signs, it could also seem that DE would be at best a late round or UDFA consideration. Dallas also started visits yesterday with the select 30. Although we only have confirmation on 19 of those visits, it appears WR, OL and DL are the main considerations. Dallas Day is Friday so more potential prospects.

We know that ultimately one of the 30 visit guys will most likely be our 1st round pick and that several others will be drafted by Dallas during the draft. We also know Jerry is due for a splash. What sort of splash is what the major speculation is. So lets look at the team and what is expected because we know the expectation is to win the division, make the playoffs, win a playoff game and get to the Super Bowl and WIN IT. We also know what Philly is, what the Redskins should be with Alex Smith and what the Giants might be with or without OJB.

Dak has got to get better although he was better last season than most give credit. With Hurns and Thompson at WR, we have improved an area that really needed it and have to believe they aren't done there although still tough for me to believe they will draft a WR in either of the first two rounds. Also the defense still could use help and probably get it early.

With the Fleming signing, have to believe that Collins is going back to LG unless Fleming just doesn't cut it in training camp at RT but watch film and anyone can see Fleming is a far better RT than Collins. Does this mean we will not draft a OG, nope, but it does give us options. With Collins back at LG and Fleming at RT, it becomes again a dominate OL for Dak and Zeke.

Now the Dez thing is about to play out but even if it goes sideways, I don't see it becoming a must to draft a WR in the 1st round. Frankly, none of the projected 1st round WR candidates would even be considered 1st round guys in some of the past few drafts. Could we find one or two later in the draft and we should like Daurius Fountain or Vyncint Smith, both of who are either visiting or have already worked out for Dallas.

The other thing to know about the draft is what Dallas likes in a prospect. They value leadership (team captain especially), SPARQ scores (especially about 105), big time school (especially through round 4), and team attitude (includes team first, constant motor, film study, right kind of guy). If you look at the ones visiting, you will notice a number of those fit those qualifications. The question becomes the BPA of a position of need not necessary the BPA of the draft, i.e. if Josh Rosen fell to 19, seriously doubt (much to many fans angst) they draft him, trade the spot, yes.

But look at what moving Collins does for the offense. It allows the OL to be better both at running the ball and with pass protection. It allows for better reads and keeping the offense on the field. With Hurns and Thompson, we have more speed and two guys that know more about separation than previous guys. It allows more options, especially running read options.

So where does the defense go now is a really good question. We still to most of us need a quality DT at the 1 tech and maybe a beast at the 3 tech. We definitely need to do something at safety especially with Jones moving to CB. And we know the draft is in Dallas and there is no way in God's green earth that Jerry isn't going to make major waves that weekend.

So it comes down to what kind of splash will be had. Several come to mind and the first would be a trade for Earl Thomas FS if the price comes down drastically. A trade up for someone like James or Edmunds is possible but Dallas has been burned so many times that it would be tough to see it happens and seriously doubt they are giving up a 2nd to anyone to move up. A trade of several guys currently on the roster is always possible but normally you do not get value during the draft for those guys although maybe if rumors are true that Irving isn't really on the future list, I guess he could be an interesting target in a trade. And much to anyone's dismay could be that Dallas would trade next year's #1 for a high pick or two in the second round but only if the guy they want is a get you over the top guy. One thing is sure, Dallas will move around in this draft due to those comp picks.

The fun is about to begin and hopefully positive results.
Cowboys Fan for over 45 years.
\"Cherish one's friends for in the end that is all one has! Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...holy sh!t...what a ride!\"

MattN
War Room Member
War Room Member

Re: What we think we know

Post by MattN » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:10 am

If you haven't noticed, we now have a plethora of wide receivers. Notice I didn't say talented. OK, arguably, we have one talented WR. The problem is, we have 10 WRs on the team accounting for 30 Mil against the cap.

OK, here's my "Sandyf Solution"

Jerry does want to make a big splash, get some relief of Dez's salary, and have a shot at winning the Super Bowl.

What position is now open thanks to the move of Byrant Jones to corner? What position is overfilled? Safety and WR respectively.

Ridley is drafted in the first round and becomes the bonified #1 WR of the future.

Trade Dez, 4th round pick, and a 5th round pick to Seattle for Earl Thomas.

Trading Dez, would immediately open 8.5 Mil against the Salary Cap. Earl Thomas's current contract is exactly that amount against the cap, if traded. However, that wouldn't last long as an extension would immediately get done to relieve this years' cap.

Also, We are also on the last year of Beasely's contract, so it wouldn't be out of the question for him to get traded at some point in the draft. This was why Hurns was brought in. Also, we'll need to make some moves to open the cap up to extend Zach Martin and sign the rookies in Camp.

Fairweather
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by Fairweather » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:26 pm

:iamwithstupid: I'm shocked that you guys are willing to let The Beasley go. :roll:

That said, I see Sandy's point of going for a developmental speed guy in the draft. Although I can't say I've ever seen one develop in Dallas (Miles Austin doesn't count as he was an UDFA :D ). I think Noah Brown could be as good as Dez (was) by next season.

I'd be happy moving up for a James or Smith. Don't know why Seahawks would want Dez. I guess a 4 and 5 could get it done numbers-wise. Last time sucked because we moved up for the DB (Clairborne) instead of the 1 Tech (Poe). Now it's James/Smith vs. Vea.

Trading next year's one doesn't scare me if I could get two monsters now. "The best laid plans with injuries and man."

Once again, if we draft well, stay healthy, and Dak/Rush play very well, we are definitely in it to win it.
I Am Ironman. The Suit And I Are One.

MattN
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by MattN » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:38 pm

Notice I said trade Beasley, not release. :eyepoke:

MattN
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by MattN » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:46 pm

Fairweather wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:26 pm
Don't know why Seahawks would want Dez. I guess a 4 and 5 could get it done numbers-wise.
The Seahawks need help at receiver. Paul Richardson was not re-signed (Redskins). Neither was Jimmy Graham (Packers). And Doug Baldwin isn’t really getting it done on his own. Russell Wilson needs new people to throw to. Dez gives them an endzone threat. Rumor has it, they are pursuing OBJ.

ericeast
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by ericeast » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:00 pm

Do it.

Fairweather
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by Fairweather » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:03 pm

Traded? Traded? :lipsrsealed: Good luck with that. Amuse me with what you think you can get for him.

MattN
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by MattN » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:52 pm

The Patriots no longer have Brandon Cook or Amendola. That's one team that would give up a 5th for him. easily.

John
Site Man-at-Arms
Site Man-at-Arms

Post by John » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:47 am

I like the Beez.
"I'm Batman!"

MattN
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by MattN » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:28 pm

John wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:47 am
I like the Beez.
I do too, but if we can trade him. I'm not against it.

He does have a good rapport with Dak.

Fairweather
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by Fairweather » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:59 pm

I like the Switzer and the Hurns. Buh-bye Beaze!