Dez expected to be Released

If it not specific to a certain category, put it here.
MattN
War Room Member
War Room Member

Dez expected to be Released

Post by MattN » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:31 am

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2315 ... dez-bryant
ESPN

Barring an unexpected last-minute change of heart, the Dallas Cowboys are expected to release wide receiver Dez Bryant on Friday, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter and Todd Archer.

Said another source to ESPN's Chris Mortensen: "I think we are moving on."

Bryant arrived at The Star -- the team's headquarters in Frisco, Texas -- to meet with officials, including owner and general manager Jerry Jones. The plan going into the meeting, according to sources, was to part ways with Bryant.

Bryant's future has been the biggest topic of the Cowboys' offseason, with his $12.5 million base salary and $16.5 million salary-cap figure.

Since signing a five-year, $70 million contract in 2015, Bryant, 29, has not recorded more than 69 catches or 838 yards in a season. He missed time in 2015 with a broken foot and was bothered in 2016 with a tibial plateau fracture.

The Cowboys made a bid to sign Sammy Watkins as free agency began and have since added Allen Hurns and Deonte Thompson. The Cowboys have also been linked to some of the top wide receivers in the draft, with Alabama's Calvin Ridley, Maryland's D.J. Moore and Oklahoma State's James Washington among the team's top-30 visitors to The Star.

At the recent owners' meetings, Jerry Jones said he had not entertained the thought of Bryant not being on the roster in 2018. Coach Jason Garrett acknowledged the growth Bryant has had on and off the field since the Cowboys selected the wide receiver in the first round of the 2010 draft, but he also said there is a business side to the NFL as well.

At present, the Cowboys have more than $30 million in cap space committed to their wide receivers and have a run-first offense that will lean heavily on running back Ezekiel Elliott.

MattN
War Room Member
War Room Member

Re: Dez expected to be Released

Post by MattN » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:31 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

coolnerd
Veteran
Veteran

Post by coolnerd » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:21 pm

Addition by subtraction. I think Dez can and will get back to Pro Bowl level of play, but there seemed to be so much pressure to get the ball to the big-money receiver, that it limited this offense at times. I wish him the best, and hope he goes to an AFC team.

John
Site Man-at-Arms
Site Man-at-Arms

Post by John » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:01 pm

He sure was awesome for awhile, but just not getting it done for the price. He has been officially released. :gentleman:
"I'm Batman!"

MattN
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by MattN » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:43 am

According to Mickey Spagnola Dez told him while departing the facility "we'll see you twice a year"

Since the Giants and Eagles are in Salary Cap Hades, could he land in DC?? So far, the Washington Post is denying it. If Dez wants a fast-track to mediocrity, that's a good way to go.

However, it seems the Ravens are pretty interested currently. Which would be interesting as they are already meeting quota with a diva WR with Crabtree.

Fairweather
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by Fairweather » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:51 am

I'm relieved he's gone. He was no longer a fit. Thanks for the best you gave us Dez! I'm sure our young corners will give you the same hard time they gave you in practice when you come a calling. :wink:
I Am Ironman. The Suit And I Are One.

coolnerd
Veteran
Veteran

Post by coolnerd » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:57 pm

I'm also relieved. With Dak and Zeke, I don't think this team needs Dez's sideline/locker room tirades anymore. He seemed like a time-bomb, just a matter of time before he went over the line and got suspended or cost us a game with an unnecessary penalty. I wish him well and hope he holds it together.

MattN
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by MattN » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:30 pm

gnats just released Brandon Marshall and saved $5Mil against this year's cap.

A door for Dez in New Jersey just opened.

coolnerd
Veteran
Veteran

Post by coolnerd » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:10 pm

Haha Dez and OBJ? Same sideline/locker room? Tick...tick..tick...

MattN
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by MattN » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:12 pm

MattN
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by MattN » Wed May 02, 2018 2:27 pm

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... e-minimum/

I'm loving this!! :lipsrsealed: :lmao:
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 2, 2018, 2:08 PM EDT

Getty Images
Dez Bryant‘s reputation in the NFL appears to be preceding him.

Bryant has indicated that he cares more about playing for the right team than making the right money, even suggesting that he cares more about staying in the NFC East so he can play the Cowboys twice than anything else. But there may not be many teams willing to sign Bryant for any amount of money.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that there are “far more” teams unwilling to pay Bryant the league minimum salary than there are teams that would consider signing Bryant for any contract.

That makes it all the more surprising that Bryant turned down an offer from the Ravens, which was reportedly in the neighborhood of the three-year, $21 million contract Baltimore previously gave to receiver Michael Crabtree. If most teams aren’t even willing to pay Bryant $1 million, why turn down an offer of $7 million?

If Bryant is truly willing to play for anything to stay in the NFC East, and Washington, Philadelphia and the New York Giants are all unwilling to offer him even the league minimum, that says a lot about what teams think the 29-year-old Bryant has left at this point in his career

John
Site Man-at-Arms
Site Man-at-Arms

Post by John » Thu May 03, 2018 8:05 am

Good Lord. It's like another T.O. :bigchoke:
"I'm Batman!"