2018 Draft Prospects

Discuss your favorite players you would like for the Dallas Cowboys in the upcoming Draft.
markg
Commander-in-Chief
Commander-in-Chief

2018 Draft Prospects

Post by markg » Mon May 15, 2017 11:48 am

The draft just ended but let's look forward to the 2018 draft where Dallas will have a full load picks except for a 5th rounder. That selection was traded away for a 2017 6th rounder which was used to select safety Xavier Woods. To offset that, the 'Boys will be looking to received the maximum four compensatory selection.

Folks, add your favorite 2018 draft selection in these areas an update them as the college season progresses.
The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet.The grace of our Lord Jesus be with you.

sandyf
Sigmund Freud
Sigmund Freud

Re: 2018 Draft Prospects

Post by sandyf » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:47 pm

Looks like the QB crop is going to be heavy in 2018 if they all play up to expectations meaning some very good prospects could fall to us. Yes want to believe we will be drafting #32.

So the question for me is where do I see the need some six weeks before training camp. For me, start looking for Sean Lee's replacement and if Collins stays at RT then possibly a LG. Of course we will always look at DE and CB. So here are a couple of ones for me to start.

Malik Jefferson OLB Texas - Would possibly take Lee's spot sooner than later but great to have the ability to do it. Makes plays all over the field.

Larry Allen III OG Harvard - Yep, another Cowboys son. He would be a LG in our scheme taking his Dad's old spot. Sure he played at an Ivy League school and is dominating but betting he is a guy that could step in day one and make a difference. Could get him in 3rd or maybe with a couple of our extra picks move up to the bottom of the 3rd and get him.

Jarret Stidham QB Auburn - Texas kid with a lot of talent if he comes out could be a nice 3rd round selection to learn behind Dak for a couple of years then either keep him or trade him for a high pick. Time to cultivate our own QBs.

Calvin Ridley WR Alabama - a guy betting we can get in the 2nd round with good size and great speed, some say a Amari Cooper clone other believe he could be Julio Jones with about 30 more pounds of muscle.
Cowboys Fan for over 45 years.
\"Cherish one's friends for in the end that is all one has! Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...holy sh!t...what a ride!\"

Fairweather
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by Fairweather » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:16 pm

1. Vita Vea DT Washington
2. LB
3. RB/WR
4. WR/RB

Time to stop the run once and for all. Might have to trade up to get him though.
I Am Ironman. The Suit And I Are One.

sandyf
Sigmund Freud
Sigmund Freud

Post by sandyf » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:47 pm

Here's my early want list:
1. Malik Jefferson OLB Texas
2. Calvin Ridley WR Alabama
3. Larry Allen, Jr. LG Harvard
3. Tony Brown CB Alabama
\"Cherish one's friends for in the end that is all one has! Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...holy sh!t...what a ride!\"

tom
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by tom » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:10 am

Quentin Nelson, OG, Notre Dame. He's a team captain and a straight-up beast.

sandyf
Sigmund Freud
Sigmund Freud

Post by sandyf » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:36 pm

Man, what a difference a couple of weeks makes. The Atlanta game was beyond horrible. Definitely need a backup OT that is capable and frankly a LG also. Dak has to have someone (WR) to really stretch the field. Have to find someone that when Lee is out can run the defense. Still need that difference maker on the DL although I do like how Irving, Crawford, Lawrence and Collins are playing and maybe Taco just needs a year.

Anyway:
1. Courtland Sutton WR SMU - big guy, good hands, nice speed, can out jump any DB
My reason is a WR that can demand double coverage like Sutton or Ridley allows Dak more options
2. Malik Jefferson LB Texas - fast, good tackler, difference maker and could jump down to DE some
My reason is to start grooming Lee's replacement, sweet dream would be Lee, Smith and Jefferson as the starters
3. Larry Allen OG Harvard - sure small school but so was his father, would start immediately at LG
My reason is he will be the mirror image of his father for the next 12 years
3. Desmond Harrison OT West Georgia - a comp pick and had his problems at UT but appears to be a better person now, great length and size
My reason is a quality backup for Smith and if the injuries persist maybe even Smith's replacement
4. Godwin Igwebuike S Northwestern - don't see Heath next year and IMO, this kid could be the best safety we have had in 20 years
My reason is this is a far better and faster Bill Bates with the same passion and attitude
4. Vita Vea DT Washington - huge guy, great quickness, plugs the gaps, great length and quickness
My reason is a plugger for the run game and rotates with Irving and Collins
5. Jamal Peters CB Mississippi State - flying a bit under the radar but good size corner
My reason is with Lewis and Awuzie, then you have a quality big corner

There are a number of DE that I thought would be good but unless someone falls to where the Boys draft they probably draft an unknown in the last two rounds and possibly point to Nick Bosa in the 2019 draft. Besides whether we like it or not Randy Gregory will be back and it will be a question mark ride to see how that plays out. If Gregory has cleaned up his act and can bring the speed he showed at Nebraska then our DL will be the best we have had in many years. We also will get to see if Tapper can stay healthy and contribute.

John
Site Man-at-Arms
Site Man-at-Arms

Post by John » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:37 pm

Good points
"I'm Batman!"

MattN
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by MattN » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:27 am

John wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:37 pm
Good points
:iamwithstupid:

Fairweather
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by Fairweather » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:21 pm

YES! This would be a fantastic draft to have extra first or second round picks. It looks like the guys in our range: OL Nelson, WR Ridley, LB Jefferson, LB Evans, and DT Vea, will all be taken in the first two rounds. Based on the DrafT Tek mock and what's on the current roster, I think we have to go:

1. Malik Jefferson LB Texas. We can stay put or trade down depending on the position we end up in. Jefferson is currently going #39 to Miami.

2. Vita Vea DT Washington. Going back as far as 2001 with the Steelers grabbing Casey Hampton, I've watched several run stuffing tackles I've prayed for go on to become studs in the NFL. I don't want this one to get away. Vea is currently going #56 to Atlanta.

3. Dante Pettis WR Washington. Just as elusive as a run stuffing tackle for Dallas is a field stretching WR. We've had a few speedy Free Agents or traded for speedsters, but I don't think we've used a top three pick on one since Mike Sherrard in 1988 :crycry: . Pettis is currently going #78 to Green Bay.

4. Mark Walton RB Miami. Draft Tek has him going #112 to our Cowboys. No arguments from this 'Canes fan. He'll be a great pass catching, explosive, change of pace compliment to Zeke and Rod.

As mentioned above, we still have untapped potential at DE in Gregory and Tapper. Hopefully Tank stays healthy and hungry if re-signed. OL and DB should also be considered from pick three on.
I Am Ironman. The Suit And I Are One.