Dallas 1st Round Selection Ezekiel Elliott

Discuss your favorite players you would like for the Dallas Cowboys in the upcoming Draft.
coolnerd
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Dallas 1st Round Selection Ezekiel Elliott

Post by coolnerd » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:43 am

:iamwithstupid: If Newman had actually been able to CATCH a football, instead of just bouncing it off of his waffle-iron hands, he would've garnered some Pro Bowl consideration.

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:11 am

RAIDERRED wrote:Congrats to the Front Office for not listening to conventional misguided thinking and doing the very best thing for this team and Tony Romo. Defensive help is there and abundant and will be added in the next two days.

Could not be prouder to be a fan of the Dallas Cowboys.
Yup....pretty easy choice though.....highest rated player on their board.

I guess all the guess-perts were wrong about Ramsey being #1.
"How do we begin to covet? We covet what we see everyday"....Hannibal Lechter...The Silence of the Lambs

John
Site Man-at-Arms
Site Man-at-Arms

Post by John » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:12 am

He could bat down those balls with the best of them! But yes, I remember yelling at the TV when he couldn't catch.
"I'm Batman!"

John
Site Man-at-Arms
Site Man-at-Arms

Post by John » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:16 am

34yearsnow wrote:
RAIDERRED wrote:Congrats to the Front Office for not listening to conventional misguided thinking and doing the very best thing for this team and Tony Romo. Defensive help is there and abundant and will be added in the next two days.

Could not be prouder to be a fan of the Dallas Cowboys.
Yup....pretty easy choice though.....highest rated player on their board.

He didn't look very thrilled to be a Jaguar.
"I'm Batman!"

sandyf
Sigmund Freud
Sigmund Freud

Post by sandyf » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:31 am

The good thing is that McClay also bought off on it and even with the try to move back up for Lynch. Elliott gives us the potential of keeping the offensive on the field quite a bit more meaning the defense is on the field less. The whole offense is probably singing with joy.

I just wasn't sold on Ramsey and didn't understand why we didn't take the trade with Baltimore to get an extra pick until I listened to Werder late last night. Appears another team was talking with the Jags to move up for Elliott at #5 if we passed and apparently McClay knew it.

The best thing for us in not getting to move back into the 1st round for Lynch was who is available tonight.
Myles Jack LB UCLA - sure the knee is a thing but when is the risk worth the reward on him
A'Shawn Robinson DT Alabama - probably a 3-tech that is only 20 and learning, could be special
Jarren Reed DT Alabama - very strong, 1-tech guy and would make a great rotation guy with Thornton
Reggie Ragland LB Alabama - can he be a 3 down LB that eventually replaces McClain at the Mike
Noah Spence DE Eastern Kentucky - he and Judon are the best pure pass rushers in the draft but Spence is a character risk
Kevin Dodd DE Clemson - lots of upside with him although he turns 25 very soon, so maybe just a one contract type guy

We should get one of them unless we have other ideas on corner or QB.
Cowboys Fan for over 45 years.
\"Cherish one's friends for in the end that is all one has! Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...holy sh!t...what a ride!\"

John
Site Man-at-Arms
Site Man-at-Arms

Post by John » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:34 am

Jerry Jones on Ezekiel Elliott: This wasn’t a pure offensive pick

Posted by Josh Alper on April 29, 2016, 7:58 AM EDT

The Cowboys picked Ezekiel Elliott fourth overall on Thursday night, marking the highest draft position for a running back since the Browns took Trent Richardson with the third pick in 2012.

By taking Elliott, the Cowboys passed on defensive players like Jalen Ramsey and DeForest Buckner who could have helped a unit that failed to impress last season. After the selection was made, though, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said it wasn’t a “pure offensive pick” and coach Jason Garrett explained why the team feels Elliott will make their defense better.

“Hopefully you possess the ball more,” Garrett said, via the team’s website. “You get more plays on offense, fewer plays on defense, and that allows your defense to play at a higher level. It’s similar to how we played a couple years ago, when we ran the ball so effectively — and I thought it had a really positive impact on everybody on our team. We believe Zeke gives us a chance to do that.”

Garrett also thinks Elliott will help the passing game be more effective and Jones shared his belief that running backs need less time to acclimate themselves to the professional game than players on the defensive side tend to need. Unmentioned was that Elliott’s decision to sport a crop top on his way into the draft showed a Texas-sized ability to land in the spotlight, which certainly isn’t something that Jones has frowned upon in the past.

Fashion sense aside, there’s some merit to all of the football-related points. Now Elliott just has to prove to be a better choice than Richardson was in Cleveland.
"I'm Batman!"

sport56
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sport56 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:57 am

All the talk on Jack is that he may not make it to his second contract. If he is cleared to play this year then I'd would use #34 on him and plan for his first off-season with Dr. Andrews and an extensive rehab program. This guy has too much talent, too much value to pass on in the 2nd round. Less risk than Spence, a talented toker joker. Jack has the heart of a lion and loves to play the game. He's the best cover LB out there and can also change the game rushing the QB. Lots of good choices for us on Day Two, so if not Jack, I'm sure we'll pick up some quality talent but IMO Myles Jack stands apart as the best of the rest.

MattN
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by MattN » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:44 am

34yearsnow wrote:
yes, those same experts saying he was going to the Chargers were guessing like everyone else.

John
Site Man-at-Arms
Site Man-at-Arms

Post by John » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:59 am

And now no Dallas fans can say if Ramsey was there, we would have taken him over Zeke. It was zeke all the way. At least when the top two QB's were gone. Now that would have been intriguing if one of the two QB's were still available. One of the talking heads on ESPN said they still might have taken Wentz over Elliott if he was there.
"I'm Batman!"

sport56
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sport56 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:06 pm

But we can ask if it might have been Bosa instead of Elliott if SD hadn't taken him #3.

pwe73
Veteran
Veteran

Post by pwe73 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:12 pm

Don't forget Robinson and Reed can play De & Dt and are both under 21
Say Hello to My Lil' Friend

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:30 am

MattN wrote:
34yearsnow wrote:
yes, those same experts saying he was going to the Chargers were guessing like everyone else.
The Chargers changed their mind the day before the draft. He was not one of their official visits. It had been speculated well before the draft according to random tweets that the Chargers were in love with Bosa.
#ZEKEMODE
"He's a humble kid," notes Brown. "He's a very intelligent kid. He talks about a lot of things other than football. He's interested in a lot of things other than football. But he wants to be the greatest to put on pads, so I'm going to help him get there."

MattN
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by MattN » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:00 am

you lost me at speculated random tweets. :mypc:

Bottom Line we got THE guy we are all happy with. I've been a fan of his all along.

John
Site Man-at-Arms
Site Man-at-Arms

Post by John » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:22 pm

Toms not happy.... :wink:
"I'm Batman!"

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:40 pm

#ZEKEMODE
"He's a humble kid," notes Brown. "He's a very intelligent kid. He talks about a lot of things other than football. He's interested in a lot of things other than football. But he wants to be the greatest to put on pads, so I'm going to help him get there."