Thoughts this Sunday Before the Draft

Discuss your favorite players you would like for the Dallas Cowboys in the upcoming Draft.
sandyf
Sigmund Freud
Sigmund Freud

Thoughts this Sunday Before the Draft

Post by sandyf » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:10 am

Five days, just five days and then we see what will happen for Dallas. Notice I did not say who Dallas will draft. It is because none of us know how the draft is going to play out and it means we don't know if Dallas will stay at 28, move up, move down, or even move completely out of the first round. In fact, we can say that about most of the teams.

I haven't seen a draft to where there appears to be so many unknowns, especially with one that is being so touted as the deepest ever at DE, CB and S. And it appears no one is committing to a QB when so many need one. That surely will change over the next five days. It always does one way or another.

So what about Dallas?

I, like most, believe this will be a defensive draft and maybe just maybe at every pick. Could it happen, sure, will it happen, NO! Starting to see some players coming into focus for Dallas based on columns written, talk shows, Jerry and Stephen press conferences, but more over for me talking with scouts I know and friends within the organization. Now none of it I would consider the gospel on this Sunday, but hints and hopes within the team.

Don't believe they see any offensive player falling to 28 that would make them giddy to go that route unless (big unless) it is O.J. Howard TE Alabama. Told Linehan believes he is the best offensive player in the draft, and believe me that would make Dallas change its pick as Howard is supposedly on the Dallas board within the top 6. Also after Garrett and Solomn Thomas and Lattimore and Adams, grades are similar on a number of the defensive players all the way through the rest of their 1st round grades.

At 28, if we stay there and do not move up, believe it may come down to Malik McDonald and T.J. Watt. Seems to be lots of discussion about both players from a talent standpoint and from overall future standpoint. I feel if Dallas could get both they would do so without hesitating a bit. If both of those guys are gone then it will be from three or four corners they believe fit and could see a trade down because grades are similar, that is if there is a trade partner.

Back to McDonald and Watt, it has been told that McDonald may provide the most immediate difference if the coaching staff believes they can take care of his laziness on taking some plays off. It is believed long term that Watt could be the guy best to have. It terms to me, first year for McDonald 10+ sack total probability while Watt would be in the 6 to 7 range. Doesn't seem like much but looking at our schedule, could be a difference in close wins or not.

We still need secondary help although from what I gather, there are guys all the way through the 7th round they believe that could come in and have success under the cover 2 that Marinelli runs. Sure you want top notch guys but if true, it makes finding help easier than finding a pass rusher. Now at safety, there does not seem to be a nervous person at all in finding help and get the feeling that they want Evans from A&M or kid from Xavier and believe both would help on special teams as well as SS this year.

One item I did gather from conversations is that if the situation presents itself, trading next year's number 1 or 2 or 3 is not going to pose the same scare as in past years. It would not surprise me that we take a McDonald or Watt at 28 and then make a trade at the start of the 2nd for two or three picks giving up next year's first for those picks. Dallas believes they can make a huge difference hitting on 3 or 4 guys in this draft although at what position remains to be seen.

I believe we will find the grades on McDonald and Watt are 2nd round grades and that if a Howard falls to 28, that we take him and then that trade of a next year's first becomes for more viable. Much of this coming Thursday is going to be on when the QBs start to go, if late 1st then it will be doubtful we make such a trade, if those QBs start to all go in the top 15, then watch out because things are going to shake and move a lot.

Now about a few players that seem to be on the radar more than others. McKinley seems to be more a fan favorite than anyone and I believe Dallas likes him------late second round. The injury is going to drop him because although he should play in 2017, he is going to miss most likely the first month of the season. Same goes for Moreau at CB for Dallas as I believe he becomes good value mid third or later. Watch out for where Bucky Hodges goes as a top rated TE, it could be 6th or 7th and Dallas if not taking one before then will take a shot. Value on guys becomes critical when we get to the late 3rd and beyond. Of course that value is what sort of grade Dallas has assigned to them and as I understand they have rated 147 players that fit Dallas. Sure wish I could see that board!
Cowboys Fan for over 45 years.
\"Cherish one's friends for in the end that is all one has! Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...holy sh!t...what a ride!\"

tom
All-Pro
All-Pro

Re: Thoughts this Sunday Before the Draft

Post by tom » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:00 am

Good post, sandy. Bottom line......I want someone who's NFL ready from Day 1. We don't have time for "potential" or "high upside." Give me a player who produced for more than one year in college, who has a true position, isnt on drugs, is a solid citizen, and isn't injury prone. I want a difference maker who can start right away. So who is that guy?

Fairweather
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by Fairweather » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:55 pm

EDIT ALERT: MALIK MCDOWELL :toothgrin:

Unless someone highly rated drops down, I see us trying to move out of the first. I think we could really use an extra early to middle rounds pick or two to solidify this roster. McKinley and McDowell were my first two DL targets in early mocks so I'm tickled at the latest rumors.

I am one who has no problem going offense early and often if the draft should fall that way. TE? WR? OT? RB? Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! 44-30 wins are sooo entertaining! But I'm also optimistic that if we're lucky, this defense isn't so bad right now.
I Am Ironman. The Suit And I Are One.

tom
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by tom » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:10 pm

Fairweather wrote:EDIT ALERT: MALIK MCDOWELL :toothgrin:

Unless someone highly rated drops down, I see us trying to move out of the first. I think we could really use an extra early to middle rounds pick or two to solidify this roster. McKinley and McDowell were my first two DL targets in early mocks so I'm tickled at the latest rumors.

I am one who has no problem going offense early and often if the draft should fall that way. TE? WR? OT? RB? Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! 44-30 wins are sooo entertaining! But I'm also optimistic that if we're lucky, this defense isn't so bad right now.
McKinley scares me. He's coming off a serious injury, and he may be better suited as a 3-4 OLB. And McDowell is a low effort guy who played DT in college at 280lbs. What would his position be?

Fairweather
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by Fairweather » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:35 pm

At this point I'm taking a CB first because while there is depth, there is a significant quality drop off after 1st-2nd round. in the second round I'm praying for Willis or maybe Basham or Sha Na Na - I mean Bowser. Everything else is gravy.

sport56
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sport56 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:05 pm

My hope: trade down to some one who wants a 5th year out of a QB pick, pick up a high 3rd round pick and take Jordan Willis, DE, K. State. Go BPA in rounds 2 & 3 leaning towards CB/SS.

Fairweather
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by Fairweather » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:15 pm

Sounds good to me if you feel there's no way Willis makes it to 60. I would love King and Willis.

John
Site Man-at-Arms
Site Man-at-Arms

Post by John » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:22 am

Fairweather wrote:At this point I'm taking a CB first because while there is depth, there is a significant quality drop off after 1st-2nd round. in the second round I'm praying for Willis or maybe Basham or Sha Na Na - I mean Bowser. Everything else is gravy.

Sha na na... wow, how many of you picked up on that old school nugget?
"I'm Batman!"

Fairweather
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by Fairweather » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:51 pm

:gentleman: My Granddaddy loved Sha Na Na ol' Man. :toothgrin: