Quick thoughts

Discuss your favorite players you would like for the Dallas Cowboys in the upcoming Draft.
stong
Veteran
Veteran

Quick thoughts

Post by stong » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:21 pm

IMO our 3 biggest positions of need, in no particular order, are OL, WR and LB. I am always an advocate of taking BAP but of course need creeps in as well. That being said, my biggest complaint is taking a guy in the 1st round who is not going to be a starter/regular contributor. Ex. last year, sure Taco was a pretty good prospect but it was pretty obvious he was going to be a player who was going to take time to develop, get stronger, gain technique, etc. He was never going to be a player who stepped in from Day 1, beat out our vets for a starting position and was a 3 down player.

So looking at OL/WR/LB at #19, based on my comment above I think I would rule out WR since we will probably bring back Dez. WR is also a deep position in this draft so we can take one later.

LB is interesting since we will probably lose Hitchens in free agency and Lee is becoming more injury-prone. Is there a LB worthy of #19? If Edmunds or Smith fell yes but I think they will be gone. Maybe Evans from Alabama? Any one other than those 3 are probably not worthy of #19.

That leaves OL. From what I hear we won't resign Cooper so that leaves a big hole at LG (or RT if we move Collins back to LG, which I think we should). So again, based on my comment above about wanting our 1st rounder to start and contribute regularly, two guys who I think are worthy at #19 would be Wynn from Georgia or Hernandez from UTEP.

So of Evans, LB, Wynn, OG/OT and Hernandez, OG who would be the highest rated player? Not sure, but for me it would come down to one of these 3 guys. And if I had to choose one, I would choose Wynn since he could start right away at LG and also cover LT since Tyron is also becoming injury-prone.

Done!

stong
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Quick thoughts

Post by stong » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:05 pm

After watching the Combine I am sticking with my pick: Wynn, G/T.

Why? Because I think the OL is not very deep so if you want/need one, better get one early. Hernandez had a great Combine, but I just think Wynn offers better value since he can play backup OT. I would be happy with either as both can be Day 1 starters which is big in my book.

Receiver class looks pretty deep, definitely think we can get a good one with speed in the 2nd or 3rd. LB also looks pretty deep, as does DL.

Fairweather
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by Fairweather » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:27 pm

I could live with that.
I Am Ironman. The Suit And I Are One.

MattN
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by MattN » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:48 pm

stong wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:05 pm
After watching the Combine I am sticking with my pick: Wynn, G/T.

Why? Because I think the OL is not very deep so if you want/need one, better get one early. Hernandez had a great Combine, but I just think Wynn offers better value since he can play backup OT. I would be happy with either as both can be Day 1 starters which is big in my book.

Receiver class looks pretty deep, definitely think we can get a good one with speed in the 2nd or 3rd. LB also looks pretty deep, as does DL.
I'm for this.

Tyron's long-term health scares me. At this rate, he'll retire in two years.

However, you have 4 1st rounders on the line at the same time (and one was supposed to be), wow, what an expensive line!

stong
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stong » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:59 am

With the recent free agent additions to the OL and WR, LB is now our biggest need IMO. I believe we have set ourselves up to go heavy on D with this draft. So with that, at #19 I think we should do one of two things: if Smith or Edmunds fall out of the top 10, then trade up (1st and a 3rd?) to get one of them. Or, stay at 19 and draft either Evans or Vander Esch...if it were up to me, I'd go Vander Esch!

Fairweather
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by Fairweather » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:04 pm

What if Ridley falls? And I like Vea though somehow he may not be a fit with the staff.

John
Site Man-at-Arms
Site Man-at-Arms

Post by John » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:19 pm

I like Ridley.
"I'm Batman!"

stong
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stong » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:34 pm

Fairweather, if Ridley falls then yes, I think getting the #1 rated WR in the draft at #19 would be the pick.

Not so sure about Vea. Have read some reports that he is inconsistent, and yes not sure if he fits our scheme and/or has those 3-tech qualities. What I don't understand is that teams like Minnesota and NYG both play the 4-3 and both have big 1-techs (Joseph and Harrison) who really make their run defences good so why can't we?

MattN
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by MattN » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:09 pm

If Ridley falls and we draft him, we have a dozen WRs who will count $32Mil against the cap in total. (#19 is slotted at a $9mil contract, $4.6mil signing bonus and counts $2Mil against the cap this season).

If we get Ridley, that might be the nail in the coffin for Dez.

Fairweather
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by Fairweather » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:17 pm

Barring trades Baltimore is probably the only competition for Ridley's service before 19. What could give teams behind us pause to move ahead of us is their expecting us to fill positions of need on DL and LB.

John
Site Man-at-Arms
Site Man-at-Arms

Post by John » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:21 am

With Butler gone and Dez on the decline, Ridley looking better and better.
"I'm Batman!"

MattN
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by MattN » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:48 pm

I'd jump for joy if we draft Ridley and Dez is traded shortly after.

John
Site Man-at-Arms
Site Man-at-Arms

Post by John » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:49 am

You jump for joy when I wave a cheeseburger in your face.
"I'm Batman!"

MattN
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by MattN » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:30 pm

no, but I jump to the ground when you're on a swingset wearing cowboy boots.

John
Site Man-at-Arms
Site Man-at-Arms

Post by John » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:14 pm

Maybe that's why I'm a Dallas cowboy.
"I'm Batman!"