Carl Davis

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Carl Davis

Post by RAIDERRED » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:02 am

"He's probably the most talented, even with Leonard Williams," one scout said. "You get about one play out of every 10 with that guy. He's lazy. He has the chance of being an all-pro and the best chance of being a bust." Two-year starter with 92 tackles (14 ½ for loss) and 3 ½ sacks. "If Carl had (Louis) Trinca-Pasat's intensity level he'd go in the first round," another scout said, referring to Iowa's other DT. "He doesn't. He plays like he is, a nice guy. His character is impeccable. He scares the hell out of me." Went to the Senior Bowl and tore it up, enhancing his draft prospects. "He could be somebody like (Haloti) Ngata," a third scout said. "Dominated the Senior Bowl. Very good explosion, very good strength." From Livonia, Mich. "You talk about an underachiever," a fourth scout said. "Damn good kid. Doesn't love football. Doesn't grind in the weight room. Doesn't know what it takes. Got a basketball mentality." Long arms (34 5/8), huge hands (11).
#ZEKEMODE
"He's a humble kid," notes Brown. "He's a very intelligent kid. He talks about a lot of things other than football. He's interested in a lot of things other than football. But he wants to be the greatest to put on pads, so I'm going to help him get there."

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Re: Carl Davis

Post by 34yearsnow » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:46 pm

Name: Carl Davis
Position: Defensive Tackle
College: Iowa
Height/Weight: 6-5 / 321

Honors: After waiting his turn for two years, Davis emerged as a junior and earned All-Big 10 honors as a senior.

Key stat: Saved his best game for a matchup with Nebraska when Davis posted two tackles for loss, a quarterback sack and a pass deflection against the Cornhuskers.

Where He’s Projected: Players with his ability and strength can sneak into the first round in the later picks, especially when the Cowboys are on the clock at No. 27. He could always drop back to the second but he might be the second-best defensive tackle on some draft boards after USC’s Leonard Williams. Davis should be included in the group of Texas’ Malcom Brown and Danny Shelton on Washington, and perhaps Jordan Phillips of Oklahoma.

How He Helps the Cowboys: The Cowboys haven’t had a one-technique defensive tackle with as much talent as Davis in a few years, especially since they moved to the 4-3 defense. Davis can not only plug the middle but has ability to rush the passer and push the pocket. The club has Nick Hayden and Terrell McClain playing the nose but Davis has the ability and strength to dominate inside. To have strength and youth at that position is something the Cowboys have lacked in recent years.

Scout’s Take: Plays as a nose tackle or one technique for the Hawkeyes. Massive build that allows him to hold the point. Strong to snatch, pull blockers out of the way. Will extend his hands to control. Doesn’t give ground on the double team. Was quick to read the pull scheme and react. Able to stay on feet to play cut off block. Able to stay square on the goal line and make play. Not good when he plays tall. Needs to bend his knees and stay down. Trouble when blockers are able to get under him. Powerful enough to consistently split a double team. Was able to overpower blockers one-on-one. Can be a problem as a one gap penetrator. Good body control and balance. Is generally in balance when he engages the blocker. Makes the effort to get wide or to the outside to make the tackle. Not likely just to sit in the tackle box and remained blocked. Outstanding effort and motor to get to ball and make play. Plays with good instincts both run and pass. Didn’t appear to be fooled or struggle in game with scheme. Plays with range. When going up the field needs to work more counter moves, right now is limited. More power than moves. Can use him in twist stunts and he will be productive due to his foot quickness. Lined wide and had a sack against Indiana. Ability to flush the quarterback out of the pocket. Had a tackle for loss against Wisconsin on a quick swim move out of a one technique. Really works hard to finish plays. Would be a powerful, athletic upgrade at that one technique if selected in this draft.
Bryan Broaddus
"How do we begin to covet? We covet what we see everyday"....Hannibal Lechter...The Silence of the Lambs

Coach Steele
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by Coach Steele » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:37 am

I know that Iowa had some issues against the run this last year. Can any of the Iowa fans on this sight tell me, did he contribute to that, or was he a bright spot on a poor run defense? Seems like he is strong and could be a pro bowler with the right attitude and intensity. Doesn't seem to like football. Could bust. Do you think that Marinelli could coach him to play the right way? Melton is kind of a laxidasical dude and Marinelli got the best out of him (maybe not last year though he did have 5.5 sacks.

rodg12
Team Captain
Team Captain

Post by rodg12 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:18 am

Coach Steele wrote:I know that Iowa had some issues against the run this last year. Can any of the Iowa fans on this sight tell me, did he contribute to that, or was he a bright spot on a poor run defense? Seems like he is strong and could be a pro bowler with the right attitude and intensity. Doesn't seem to like football. Could bust. Do you think that Marinelli could coach him to play the right way? Melton is kind of a laxidasical dude and Marinelli got the best out of him (maybe not last year though he did have 5.5 sacks.
He was a bright spot. Teams did not run up the middle with much success against Iowa and he was a big part of that. Iowa got GASHED on the edge last season. Slow flow from the LBs and a DE in Nate Maier who didn't hold up at the point of attack. Tevin Coleman ripped us for 219 on 15 carries with TD runs of 83, 69 and 45.

Davis is definitely an enigma. Size, strength and talent are there. Effort hasn't always been. He really did improve the last two seasons, though. Increased intensity and effort. I think we have an advantage in reaching him that's twofold...one, Marinelli is a master motivator and two, Anthony Hitchens knows Davis really well and Hitch is a workout warrior.
Do your damnedest in an ostentatious manner all the time.
-George S. Patton

J Rod

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:26 am

Us picking Davis would not shock me.
It's at what spot that may surprise though. His interviews, according to reports, did not go well.
#ZEKEMODE
"He's a humble kid," notes Brown. "He's a very intelligent kid. He talks about a lot of things other than football. He's interested in a lot of things other than football. But he wants to be the greatest to put on pads, so I'm going to help him get there."

John
Site Man-at-Arms
Site Man-at-Arms

Post by John » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:58 am

Your interview did not go well. But I still like you and intensity is there... :P
"I'm Batman!"

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:03 am

John wrote:Your interview did not go well. But I still like you and intensity is there... :P
I think that's just Broaddus blowing on at what he's seeing on a game film.

Everything I've seen says stay away.

The BIGGEST thing that bothers me is his comment about taking it easy on weaker players.

One would think that NFL-caliber players....would be "throat-cutters" and smell blood.

"Throat-cutter" might be too harsh....how about "throat-stomper"????
"How do we begin to covet? We covet what we see everyday"....Hannibal Lechter...The Silence of the Lambs

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:06 am

John wrote:Your interview did not go well. But I still like you and intensity is there... :P
Well played sir.
:thumbsup:
#ZEKEMODE

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:28 am

Well-liked by teammates and coaches. No off-field issues. Improved work ethic during time at Iowa. There are still those in scouting community that question his true passion for game and ability to self-motivate. Son of Ovella Davis. Mom is a pastor. Leisure studies major.
Frequently disruptive as a pass-rusher, especially in 2014. But career production (3.5 sacks) does not match skill set.
The bottom line is that he has not been a consistent finisher in this area throughout his career. He wears down too easily at times, and then his pads start to rise. He also needs to give a steadier effort in pursuit.
Motor runs hot and cold. Plays hard the majority of snaps but still not consistent enough. Will fight through double teams most of the time. Seems on tape to lack a killer instinct.

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:14 pm

What he brings: He'd be much higher up in these rankings were it not for significant concerns about his effort level. He has an outstanding combination of height, weight, length and athleticism. He is very disruptive against the run and as a pass-rusher with his quickness and strength, and he can play multiple positions in multiple defensive fronts. But his motor is very up and down.