Some 17 days before the 2017 draft

Enter your Mock Drafts for the Dallas Cowboys in this forum
sandyf
Sigmund Freud
Sigmund Freud

Some 17 days before the 2017 draft

Post by sandyf » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:26 pm

The offseason has been certainly different with Romo cut/retire, Witten extended, signing of guys some of us scratched our head about in Stephen Paea, D. Moore and Nolan Carroll but it appears that Marinelli was way on board with all of them. How they stack up remains to be seen.

With the draft some 16 days away, nothing is settled with the exception of 100 rumors and Garrett going #1 overall. Funniest rumor over the weekend is that SUPPOSEDLY Dallas offer their 1st in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 3rds in 2018 and 2019 for the #1 overall. How many really see Stephen or Jason or Willie siging off on that trade, I don't.

Trades are going to happen, just depends on what round and for who. Frankly, I only see Dallas interested in Barnett, McKinley and Harris at 28 unless someone falls from their list of who they BELIEVE to be 1st round picks. If all of those guys are gone then I do believe they will take an offer to move down if a team wants to come up for say a QB.

So here I go with a mock with a trade or two or three and my oh so wonderful logic.

28. San Francisco wants to move back into the first for a QB that will give them a 5 year window. Since they traded down from #2 overall and got an extra 2nd and 3rd, it does make sense. Trade 28 to 49ers for 34 and 66, numbers don't quite match up but you overpay to get a QB almost always.

34. T.J. Watt DE Wisconsin 6' 5" 252
Makes a lot of sense from Garrett/S. Jones/McClay/Marinelli point of view. While he has a bit to learn, he is already leader material, strong, understands the game, productive, hard worker and definitely fits the Garrett type of guy. Is he the monster DE we need, not sure but between he and Moore we may have found the guy to produce 10 plus sacks a year.

Dallas shocks and makes a player trade to the Colts sending L. Collins OG and D. Lawrence and #60 for picks 46 and 80. With Cooper and Looney along with Bell, they feel that LG as well as RT is covered and D. Lawrence is in his contract year.
46. Kevin King CB Washington 6'3" 211
So many are saying this guy is a 1st round guy all the way, can't get see it myself. Still many unknowns but has the length and speed that Cowboys want.

Dallas makes a trade down with Rams giving up 66, 3rd in 2018 and 228 for 69 and 112 and 149.
69. Adam Shaheen TE Ashland College 6' 7" 277
Good value here for a unique athlete with good speed, great hands, very good blocker and a guy that could easily take Witten's spot in a couple of years.
80. Tarell Basham DE Ohio 6'4" 246
Has a bit to learn and competition wasn't the greatest but has all the attributes to be a big time pass rusher. Having two DE in this draft is a good thing.
92. Justin Evans SS Texas A&M 6'2" 220
Could play FS also, nose for the ball and could be the Church replacement.
112. Shaquill Griffin CB Central Florida 6'0" 200
Lots of speed, should become a starter in a couple of years, good 4th corner now.
133. Julie'n Davenport OT Bucknell 6' 7" 310
Extremely athletic, long arms, quick feet, actually believe he could start at RT, hard worker
149. Sidney Jones CB Washington 6'0" 186
Injuried and will be out for the year, may or may not come back as good as he was but at this point, take the chance.
211. Donnel Pumphrey RB SDSU 5'9" 190
Great small back to take Dunbar's spot, very productive, can also be a returner
246. Ben Gideon ILB Michigan 6'2" 236
Should be a good backup and better special teamer.
Cowboys Fan for over 45 years.
\"Cherish one's friends for in the end that is all one has! Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...holy sh!t...what a ride!\"

LeeHarvey
Team Captain
Team Captain

Re: Some 17 days before the 2017 draft

Post by LeeHarvey » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:27 pm

What happened to Cowboys own 2nd Rd pick #60 ???

Don't think DE Basham makes it down to pick #80, maybe use #60 on Basham or Willis

#69 could be used to take a higher rated SS or maybe LB Brown from Ohio Univ

tom
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by tom » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:29 am

Sorry man.....you lost me at the Collins trade. After losing Leary and Free, why would we weaken our O-Line even more? That's our bread and butter, and the success of Dak and Zeke depend on it. Plus he's young and cheap. He's not going anywhere.

sandyf
Sigmund Freud
Sigmund Freud

Post by sandyf » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:13 am

The only reason I could see trading L. Collins and Lawrence as it is the contract year for both and I question will we try to sign both back to a second contract. Although we the money we get on June 2nd from the Romo release we could extend Zach Martin and Collins although I doubt it.

Question next off season might be about La'el Collins and Jonathan Cooper and which do we resign, both 1st round talents but wonder how much playing time Cooper gets. Then again if Cooper looks good I could see us moving Collins to RT to see if that works. Should be an interesting training camp.

Frankly, it is difficult to imagine what Dallas is going to do because if they do stick with the BPA in the first two rounds like has been done the last couple of years, who knows who those guys will be. Both could be offensive guys and the fan base would go crazy. But just for grins, what if those guys were Corey Davis WR who could fall to 28 and say Cam Robinson RT could fall to 60, have to say it would be a surprise but the offense would be almost unstoppable to me.
Cowboys Fan for over 45 years.
\"Cherish one's friends for in the end that is all one has! Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...holy sh!t...what a ride!\"