30 days to Dallas time

Enter your Mock Drafts for the Dallas Cowboys in this forum
sandyf
Sigmund Freud
Sigmund Freud

30 days to Dallas time

Post by sandyf » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:20 am

I do think we are done now in free agency for the most part. If we are willing to believe Stephen Jones, Marinelli and Richard, then none of the remaining free agency safeties but the defensive scheme Dallas is running. That either means that we are trying to get the price down on Earl Thomas which will happen during the draft or they have their eye on a guy during the draft.

Here is a list of the known visits that will happen beginning Monday.

James Daniels, C, Iowa- 2nd
DeShon Elliott, S, Texas - 3rd/4th/5th
Leighton Vander Esch^, ILB, Boise State - 1st/2nd
Daurice Fountain, WR, Northern Iowa - 6th/7th
Will Hernandez, G, UTEP - 1st/2nd
Nyheim Hines^, RB, N.C. State - 3rd/4th/5th
Darius Leonard^, OLB/ILB, South Carolina State - 3rd/4th/5th
Kolton Miller, OT, UCLA - 1st/2nd
Calvin Ridley^, WR, Alabama - 1st/2nd
Vita Vea, DT/3-4DE/NT, Washington - 1st
Malik Jefferson, ILB, Texas - 2nd/3rd/4th
Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama - 1st/2nd
Eqanimeous St. Brown, WR, Notre Dame - 2nd/3rd/4th
Nathan Shepherd, DT, Fort Hayes State - 3rd/4th/5th

There will be some 20 others including some from the Dallas Days.

We know that Dallas usually drafts several guys that they had in for visits and we should expect the same this year. The rounds that the above go in is a much section of debate depending on personal views and the media scouts. Where they will or will not be in the draft is always subject to change when the draft starts because we know nothing is for certain in the draft.

What does Dallas need (or at least what do we believe Dallas needs)? They say they will take the BPA which we all know is BPA of the closest need or what they see as need. We know that a team should draft hoping/knowing their 1st round pick will start and 2nd/3rd round pick will contribute or start. Then it is about hitting on the right guy in the other rounds that no one saw coming. So Linebacker, Free Safety, Left Guard, Defensive Tackle (1tech), Wide Receiver, and Tight End (depending on what the coaches really think about Gathers and Jarwin) should be targets in the draft.

As to Wide Receiver, with Hurns and Thompson signings, I have a difficult time believing WR is a target in the 1st, 2nd sure but more likely 3rd or later. With the 1tech DT, we know that Dallas wants a guy that can also be somewhat of a pass rusher not just a run stopper of which Vea or Payne fit those modes but again Dallas is more likely to look in later rounds for that guy.

With the LB, we have starters at the Will, Mike, and Sam currently on the roster but injury concerns say one or two could be added in the draft especially with Lee turning 32 this year. Left Guard is a tough one to figure as I could see a guy like Miller being drafted to eventually become the RT with Collins moving back to LG and the newly signed Fleming being the RT until Miller learns enough to start.

Concerning Free Safety is another tough call because I really believe during the draft the one, two or three splashes Jerry makes is trading for Earl Thomas where the price will be considerably less and probably cost a 3rd and maybe a conditional 2nd in 2019. It makes the most sense to solidify the secondary and the defense. I also see Jerry making several trades and mostly down in the 1st and up in the 2nd and 3rd rounds with the draft capital we have, and I don't believe the 2019 1st is off the table if certain guys don't go in round 1. There is also the Irving thing where the Colts if they don't get Chubb will probably give up #36 for him and I don't believe the Cowboys will match but that should happen before Dallas even picks at #19 if they do pick there. Also it will not surprise me during the draft and possibly before to see Beasley, Hanna, and Heath traded. We just aren't keeping more than 6 WR on the roster, and drafting a TE says bye bye Hanna and Swaim potentially, and Heath could easily end up with Colts also.

So here goes.
Colts lose out on Chubb at #6 and trade down with Buffalo for #12, #53, and #65. Colts sign Irving and make a trade for with Dallas for Beasley, Hanna, and Heath as a condition for not matching Irving's contract and Dallas gets #36 and #65.
#19 Dallas trades down with Atlanta who desperately want Vea and gives up their second to move 7 spots. #19 for #26 and #58.

#26 Leighton Vander Esch ILB/OLB Boise St - will see playing time at SAM and the Will before eventually taking over for Lee in 2019, fits the JKG and SPARQ that the Cowboys want.

Dallas wants back into the 1st before the Philly pick, a trade with New England gets #31 and #95 for #50, #58 and #137.

#30 Kolton Miller OT UCLA - will be the eventual RT and Collins moving back to LG making for a great OL and super Dak friendly, another JKG and SPARQ guy Dallas likes

#36 Taven Bryan DT UCLA - shows signs of being a lot like Aaron Donald, disruptive and non stop motor, although a 3tech and should rotate with Collins for a great combo, sure a 1tech would be nice although Dallas likes Price and Ash for those 1tech rotation pieces

With the 1st pick in the 3rd round now, Dallas makes the trade for Earl Thomas signing him to a 5 year deal giving up #65 and a 3rd in 2019, they have their Free Safety.

#81 Equanimeous St. Brown WR Notre Dame - with Beasley traded and Williams at least inactive until training camp, this gives Dallas a big target that runs great routes with very good speed, also a great red zone target with his height.

#95 DeShon Elliott SS Texas – hard hitter with good coverage skills, an instinctive player who diagnoses plays very well, also a good blitzer

#116 Larry Allen, Jr. OG Harvard – yep, a pet cat but it is just to mysterious that no one is mentioning him at all, the kid was a beast at Harvard, not a better guard in the country yet nothing from any scout or team. I believe he could be at least a great backup but also could turn out to be as good as his father at LG

#171 Josey Jewell ILB Iowa – this is Hitchens #2, a tackling machine, not the fastest guy but not slow, always in the right spot and never gives up on a play, will make a great addition to the LB corp

#192, #193, #208, #236 will see a RB/TE, CB, DT (1tech), and an unknown from out of the blue.

The roster could look something like this:
QB – Prescott, Rush
RB – Elliott, Smith, XX
FB – Olawale
TE – Witten, Gathers, Jarwin, Swaim
WR – Bryant, Hurns, Thompson, Switzer, St. Brown, Williams/Brown
OT – Smith, Collins, Fleming, Miller
OG – Martin, Martin, Looney, Allen
OC – Frederick
ST – Bailey, Jones, Ladouceur
DT – Bryan, Collins, Price, Ash
DE – Lawrence, Charlton, Tapper, Jones, Crawford, Gregory?
LB – Lee, Smith, Wilson, Thomas, Vander Esch, Jewell
CB – Awuzie, Lewis, Brown, Jones, White, Duke Thomas/XX
S – E. Thomas, D. Elliott, Woods, Frazier
Cowboys Fan for over 45 years.
\"Cherish one's friends for in the end that is all one has! Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...holy sh!t...what a ride!\"

MattN
War Room Member
War Room Member

Re: 30 days to Dallas time

Post by MattN » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:26 am

With additions of two O-lineman and two wide receivers, I really see the Cowboys using 10 picks in the draft to move up. A 1st and a third, could get us in range of #13, and if a certain ILB from Bama falls that far, look out!!

John
Site Man-at-Arms
Site Man-at-Arms

Re: 30 days to Dallas time

Post by John » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:09 am

Jewel might be better than Hitchens.
"I'm Batman!"