Just another mock with long explanation.

Enter your Mock Drafts for the Dallas Cowboys in this forum
sandyf
Sigmund Freud
Sigmund Freud

Just another mock with long explanation.

Post by sandyf » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:18 pm

Ok, yes it is another mock but with explanations and based on what the Boys are looking to accomplish in the draft to put them closer to the Eagles. It is also a draft that focuses on the best player available as it fits the team but also where it might pay to take a position that isn’t heavy in the draft and wait to get say a WR or S later in the draft.

So my opinion on what Dallas needs to do to get better and compete for the division title is really four things. We need to have better run stopping ability and better pressure on the QB. Those give you a better back 7 every time. Signing Ealy gives you another guy that is really good at knocking down passes which is just as important as sacks many times. Another item is where we have done some adjustments and that is wide receivers that can stretch the field and/or get separation. It also applies to the tight end where we need more from that position. Now not saying get rid of Jason Witten but we need to have a guy that can get up the field and that is just not Witten anymore.

We also need to have quality depth at the OT spot and LB spot. We can’t be hostage to an injury that just caves the defense or offense. The last thing is safety especially with Jones moving to CB, there is a need for a guy most likely at the strong safety position. I do have faith that Richard will help us find a guy possibly in the mid rounds that fits what he wants.

Now also I do not believe anything is out of range in this draft for Dallas. What I mean is that we could see and ultimate will see multiple trades during the three days including if the right guy is there our 2019 #1 pick and I hate the thought of trading that pick. The other is I don’t believe we will be adverse to trading any number of players if the right offer presents itself and most likely after a pick happens that we get a player who gives us the flexibility of moving on from a guy. Some of those guys COULD BE, Dez Bryant WR, Cole Beasley WR, James Hanna TE, Jeff Heath FS, David Irving DT, Chaz Green OT, Tyrone Crawford DT/DE and even Rod Smith RB. Now I don’t expect any trade of players to happen, just that it is a possibility depending on what happens with trades during the draft.

Lastly I view this draft as very poor in the terms of actual wide receivers that are going to be great wideouts. Some that will be good to great if in the right situations but overall more question marks than check marks. It is a good draft for DL guys, TEs, CBs, QBs, RBs and even LBs overall. The fact is there are only around 14 guys that are true #1 picks and a crap load of #2 and #3 picks, enough to fill through round 4 into round 5. I believe we are going to see guys in rounds 3, 4, 5, and 6 that everyone thought would be gone by the end of round 2. I also see at least 5 QB go in the top 15 and will not be surprised to see as many as 8 in the first round. Worthy, no, but it is the best QB draft in many, many years.

The Browns, Giants, Jets, Broncos, Bills, Cardinals, Dolphins, Patriots, Steelers, Chargers, Jaguars, and Bengals need either a starting QB or one that can take over in a year or two. It will not be a surprise to hear Jackson, Rudolph, White, Falk and Lauletta called within the first 40 picks along with Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Mayfield.

So here goes what I think Dallas will do if it presents itself with the guys falling.

19. Vita Vea DT Washington – I do believe he makes it to 19 and Marinelli has said he is a 1 and 3 tech type DT, so I see him as the pick. Dallas could move down a few spots depending on what the offer is but if they stay then Vea is the pick. I do not see them trading up much because the cost is becoming for to much do to activity on QBs. I do see the 49ers trading their #9 pick with other considerations for Beckham, just makes to much sense for them.

33. Leighton Vander Esch OLB Boise St – yes I believe he ends up making it to the second round mainly do to all the trading that will happen in the first. He probably plays initially in rotation for Dallas and some at the SAM but he is ultimately the guy they want to take Lee’s spot. What it will cost in a trade, I don’t know just that it will happen.

37. Courtland Sutton WR SMU – Colts will need player on defense and this is where I could see Dallas making a trade here and getting Sutton. He has the speed and route tree that helps Dak and the offense as a whole.

50. Dallas Goedert TE South Dakota St – you just have to take a guy named Dallas, great TE, catches everything, decent blocker, can stretch the field should give a boost to a Dak friendly offense.

67. Kolton Miller OT UCLA – could see him easily in the third round but also earlier, has the athletic ability to be a great RT or swing OT and will be the guy to take Fleming spot in a year at RT, yes, I am convinced that Collins is going to be the LG for a long while.

81. Nathan Shepherd DT Fort Hayes St. – he is a Marinelli type guy, great motor, good hands and will be there in the mid rounds coming from a small, small school

95. Kyzir White SS West Virginia – fits the SS mode perfectly, hard hitter, play every play with smarts, team captain and leader

116. Josey Jewell ILB Iowa – smart, great feet, great tackler, should be able to back up all LB spots, football first guy

I believe Dallas will end up with multiple 2s and 3s and ultimately draft 13 guys, the baker’s dozen.

Marcus Allen FS Penn St. – has great length, good speed, should work in with Woods as a rotation FS and maybe take the starting spot.

Daurice Fountain WR Northern Iowa – underrated, fast, good hands, could really surprise

Nyheim Hines RB North Carolina St – seems like this is a guy they want for a 3rd down back although I like Mark Walton out of Miami more.

Maea Teuhema OG LSU – a mean-nasty type OG, might need time but could be a good one.

Dalton Schultz TE Stanford – known for his blocking ability but good hands and could easily displace Jarwin. Dallas will keep 4 TE though.

Brandon Facyson CB Virginia Tech – type of guy Richard will want and make him the next Sherman.
Cowboys Fan for over 45 years.
\"Cherish one's friends for in the end that is all one has! Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...holy sh!t...what a ride!\"

MattN
War Room Member
War Room Member

Re: Just another mock with long explanation.

Post by MattN » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:29 am

You're the best Sandy!!

Fairweather
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by Fairweather » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:25 pm

1. Vea = YES!!! 2. L.V.E. = Yes!!! (If he makes it to 33 and we don't give up the farm for him). 3. Sutton = No. He is going in round one - maybe ahead of Ridley. 4. Goedert = yes. 5. Miller = No! way in heck he lasts to round three. 6. Shephard = Yes! 7. White = Okay. 8. Jewell = Hallelujah! 9. - 13. = Okay. 14. Shultz = Yes. 15. = Okay.
I Am Ironman. The Suit And I Are One.

tom
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by tom » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:20 pm

I'm not 100% sold on Vander Esch. I guess in the 2nd round he'd be OK, but I wouldn't spend our first round pick on a one year college starter. I don't want another Bobby Carpenter mistake.

Fairweather
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by Fairweather » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:46 am

:iamwithstupid: I don't know why but Carpenter came to mind for me as well. We picked for need instead of BPA - and there were quite a few players rated higher than Carpenter in the Big Board rankings that went on to have good careers. If there was ever a draft to move up and try to secure a position of need, this was it. Greenway would have been nice and not too costlly.
I Am Ironman. The Suit And I Are One.

John
Site Man-at-Arms
Site Man-at-Arms

Post by John » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:23 pm

Always intriguing reading!
"I'm Batman!"