40whiners cut Martin

If it's related to NFL teams other than the Dallas Cowboys, it belongs here.
34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

40whiners cut Martin

Post by 34yearsnow » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:26 pm

The San Francisco 49ers released offensive lineman Jonathan Martin on Thursday, the team announced.

Martin thanked the 49ers via Twitter and said he's looking forward to playing for another team.

Enjoyed my time with the @49ers, lucky & blessed to have been a part of a great organization. On to the next one

— Jonathan A. Martin (@J_Martin71) March 26, 2015

He spent one season in San Francisco, appearing in 15 games (nine starts) at right tackle.

Martin played at Stanford and was a 2012 second-round draft pick by the Miami Dolphins. He started all 16 games as a rookie.

In Martin's second season with Miami, he left the team in October 2013 after a bullying controversy involving former teammate Richie Incognito. An NFL investigation determined Incognito and two other Dolphins offensive linemen engaged in persistent harassment of Martin.

Martin played the first seven games but sat out the rest of the 2013 season, and then in the offseason the Dolphins traded him to the 49ers for a conditional seventh-round draft pick.
per ESPN.

HEY Sandy....weren't we interested in this kid last year.

Minimum deal....he can be the swing guy.
"How do we begin to covet? We covet what we see everyday"....Hannibal Lechter...The Silence of the Lambs

Coach Steele
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: 40whiners cut Martin

Post by Coach Steele » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:45 pm

The guy's name should be Charmin, because he is soft. Not a starter, but could be a swing tackle.

MattN
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by MattN » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:33 am

34yearsnow wrote: Martin played the first seven games but sat out the rest of the 2013 season, and then in the offseason the Dolphins traded him to the 49ers for a conditional seventh-round draft pick.
per ESPN.

HEY Sandy....weren't we interested in this kid last year.

Minimum deal....he can be the swing guy.[/quote]

no problem on a minimum deal.

more camp fodder.

sandyf
Sigmund Freud
Sigmund Freud

Post by sandyf » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:57 am

We were last year but not going to give a pick for him. Now that he has been cut, guess we will see. Callahan was pretty high on him so Washington might also be in the mix.

I saw him as an eventual replacement for Free at RT, not sure where we line up now on that front. Martin could be the RT and Free the swing tackle but that would be a lot of money for a guy not starting to me.

On a one year deal at the vet minimum, I would sign Martin but if Lawrence Gibson OT Virginia Tech is available in the 5th round, I probably take him to develop into my RT for the future.
Cowboys Fan for over 45 years.
\"Cherish one's friends for in the end that is all one has! Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...holy sh!t...what a ride!\"

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:01 am

sandyf wrote:We were last year but not going to give a pick for him. Now that he has been cut, guess we will see. Callahan was pretty high on him so Washington might also be in the mix.

I saw him as an eventual replacement for Free at RT, not sure where we line up now on that front. Martin could be the RT and Free the swing tackle but that would be a lot of money for a guy not starting to me.

On a one year deal at the vet minimum, I would sign Martin but if Lawrence Gibson OT Virginia Tech is available in the 5th round, I probably take him to develop into my RT for the future.
I think Martin played on the Left side in Miami some....he'd could be the swing Tackle.

Would rather pick one up than have to spend a 3 or 4 in the Draft for one. Anything lower...and you'd be hoping.
"How do we begin to covet? We covet what we see everyday"....Hannibal Lechter...The Silence of the Lambs

buff44
Rookie
Rookie

Post by buff44 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:45 pm

Martin was claimed by Carolina Panthers today

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId= ... rc=desktop

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:17 pm

buff44 wrote:Martin was claimed by Carolina Panthers today

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId= ... rc=desktop
That's where they need help.

since1972
Team Captain
Team Captain

Post by since1972 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:12 am

Coach Steele wrote:The guy's name should be Charmin, because he is soft. Not a starter, but could be a swing tackle.
I don't know if he can even be that. Jello.