49ers waive Hayne

If it's related to NFL teams other than the Dallas Cowboys, it belongs here.
MattN
War Room Member
War Room Member

49ers waive Hayne

Post by MattN » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:49 pm

The Hayne Plane hit major NFL turbulence.

In a surprise move, the San Francisco 49ers announced Saturday they waived Jarryd Hayne and promoted running back Kendall Gaskins to the active roster from the practice squad.

Hayne, a former National Rugby League star, was a preseason darling and forced his way onto the 49ers' 53-man roster with some dazzling open-field runs on special teams.

The 27-year-old struggled in tight spaces as a running back and earned just eight carries for 25 yards over six games. He was inactive in Week 7. The Aussie didn't appear fully comfortable in limited duty fielding punts and also struggled with hanging onto the ball, fumbling three times, losing one.

Hayne has the athletic ability to be an NFL player, but the transition to full-time duty proved to be a steep learning curve. Now on waivers, he can be snatched up by any of the 31 other teams. If he clears waivers he could be added to a practice squad, which would give him a chance to learn the nuances of the game away from the spotlight.

With running back Carlos Hyde out for Sunday's contest versus the St. Louis Rams, the 49ers will lean on Reggie Bush and rookie Mike Davis in the backfield. They'll likely use Bruce Ellington and Bush in the return game, as they did Week 7 against the Seahawks when Hayne was inactive.
I honesty think we should claim this guy. I watched a few games and he's a good special teams demon, which the Cowboys really need right now.

coolnerd
Veteran
Veteran

Re: 49ers waive Hayne

Post by coolnerd » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:43 pm

You beat me to it! Very natural return guy, hard-nosed player who can hit, and is still learning the game--should get better. His biggest adjustment is probably getting used to all these sissy pads and helmets we Yanks wear.

Coach Steele
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by Coach Steele » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:33 pm

Claim for the practice squad. Great athlete but ball security is a major issue with him.

CanadaBruce
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by CanadaBruce » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:05 pm

The 49ers might be the worst team in the NFL and he cant make that team.......

Pass
"I think that a man with a helmet defending his country should make more money than a man with a helmet defending a football."

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:44 am

At the very least, he could come give a clinic on tackling...
Otherwise, meh.
#ZEKEMODE
"He's a humble kid," notes Brown. "He's a very intelligent kid. He talks about a lot of things other than football. He's interested in a lot of things other than football. But he wants to be the greatest to put on pads, so I'm going to help him get there."