National Anthem

For better or worse, this is a general chatter area. Please keep the politics and religion conflicts to a minimum. The Moderators will have a quick trigger here.
ericeast
All-Pro
All-Pro

National Anthem

Post by ericeast » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:13 pm

I'll tell you one thing. I better damn well see every fckn' Dallas Cowboy standing for the National Anthem. Today's crud drove me crazy. Eff the NFL. If they continue this crap, you can count me out from watching games anymore, buying any NFL merchandise, Cowboy merchandise, etc. I already DONT do Sunday Ticket.

markg
Commander-in-Chief
Commander-in-Chief

Re: National Anthem

Post by markg » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:00 am

Not standing during Nation Anthem is the same as spitting on the troops in airports as they arrive home. :crycry:
The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet.The grace of our Lord Jesus be with you.

ericeast
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by ericeast » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:58 pm

:thehammer:

Fairweather
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by Fairweather » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:38 pm

As former military and law enforcement I have no problem with it. I do have a problem with the incompetent presently occupying the highest position in the land/world. Freedom to dissent is what makes America great. What makes America great is the ideal of its constitution and Declaration of Independence in response to what the founding fathers saw as a tyrannical government. If America isn't living up to its ideals, or even trying to, than it isn't the greatest or great in that area (freedom and democracy). There are people being treated like second class citizens (Taxation Without Representation) - many of whom have also served honorably and distinguishingly for the people of this nation in the armed services, government, law enforcement, Peace Corps, etc.

It wasn't long ago that players stayed in the locker room while the anthem played anyway. It wasn't until "911" that more Americans suddenly got "more patriotic" and stood while the anthem was played; and maybe doffed their hat; and maybe placed their hand over their hearts. Prior to that date many did not. Many to this day will drown out the National Anthem well before it's been completely sung/played. What's with the extreme indignation now?

But the great thing about America is that they have the right not to stand (Three minute act during a three hour program). You can have your opinions, but you should keep the hate to yourself (It's not healthy). It's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. Try to abide in Love and Peace, by living a good Life enjoying Liberty and Pursuing Happiness with everyone else. We all need to make things better in the USA. But getting riled up about players of a game who have a legitimate concern for all Americans being treated equally is insane.

Yes the NFL will go out of business because one side is boycotting a player's right to legally dissent/express himself without being colluded against in regards to employment (collective bargaining issue); and the other side is offended by players exercising their right and the NFL having no legal right to not allow it. Sponsors will suffer from both sides too. But get a grip!

Why give up such pleasurable entertainment over an important issue? Live and let live! It's more important to save the vitriol against the NFL players for a call to action against corrupt politicians, unresponsive and incompetent government, businesses that don't act patriotic in regards to keeping jobs here and protecting the health of Americans in regards to their products, etc. That's what the patriotic founding fathers had in mind.
I Am Ironman. The Suit And I Are One.

ericeast
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by ericeast » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:05 pm

Yesssss, havent read it yet. But look forward to replying to you fairweather...as a retired military guy myself.

ericeast
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by ericeast » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:11 pm

Fairweather wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:38 pm
Freedom to dissent is what makes America great.
Freedom to s h it on the flag and the people that have died for and served this oh-so-horrible country that AFFORDS those spoiled b-tchass millennial millionaires the opportunity to HAVE gold grills, big mansions, etc.....ain't what it's about. What exactly are they "dissenting" for??? They don't even know. They just blindly and stupidly (shocker....they're millennials) follow what the crowd thinks is cool. F--- them.

ericeast
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by ericeast » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:17 pm

Fairweather wrote:
You can have your opinions, but you should keep the hate to yourself (It's not healthy). It's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.
B u l l s h i t. I'm sick of the left, or appeasers, telling the rest of us patriots to keep our "hate" to ourselves. All we get is the left and their appeasers' hate shoved down OUR throats on a daily basis. Through the liberal media. Through the liberal elite. And then through the liberal tards that blindly follow them without doing any ACTUAL thinking of their own.

ericeast
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by ericeast » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:20 pm

Fairweather wrote:
But getting riled up about players of a game who have a legitimate concern for all Americans being treated equally is insane.
Then handle it like a f---ing adult. You don't do it by s-h-i-t-t-i-ng on the very country (and those that protect it) that provides them the opportunity to make millions. Grow the f up. If you want to make a statement, then do something about it that makes actual sense.

ericeast
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by ericeast » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:22 pm

Fairweather wrote:
It's more important to save the vitriol against the NFL players for a call to action against corrupt politicians, unresponsive and incompetent government, businesses that don't act patriotic in regards to keeping jobs here and protecting the health of Americans in regards to their products, etc. That's what the patriotic founding fathers had in mind.
Wrong. You use the vitriol to beat down any and ALL @$$holes that shit on the literal fabric of our country.

Fairweather
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by Fairweather » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:55 pm

One thing we might agree on is that many athletes and entertainers are overpaid and thus we consumers have to overpay for tickets, concession stand products, and consumer goods because corporations have to spend crazy money to advertise on the networks, and the networks have to pay crazy money to the leagues/associations, and the leagues/associations have to pay the athletes...and around and around it goes, with the consumer being the biggest loser.

The exception are football players and fighters who after several years of playing at an elite level walk away with brain damage and debilitating injuries for the rest of their lives. Many are dying well before reaching normal retirement age. So how much money are you willing to be paid to "maybe" set your family up for generations, even if you won't be alive or in your right mind to enjoy it with them?
I Am Ironman. The Suit And I Are One.

coolnerd
Veteran
Veteran

Post by coolnerd » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:17 pm

Well said both times, Fairweather.

baldboy77
Rookie
Rookie

Post by baldboy77 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:33 pm

Nobody really cares what I think but my 2 cents would be. I watch football to get away from all the problems in my world and the world. Racism and people being treated unfairly isn't right but I'd prefer if you want to stand up against it that you do it somewhere else. I already enjoy football less right now than I have at any other pint in my life because there's no big hits and to many tick tack fouls and it feels like it's being forked up to the point where it's not the man's sorry that I came to love and enjoy. Two and this is a big one for me. Not standing for the flag is basically crapping on every man and woman that died for them to play football. ESPECIALLY the ones that fought to bring down one of the biggest racist/bigot/genocidal maniacs to ever live. If those men and women wouldn't have fought Hitler, wouldn't have been so brave that they gave their own life so people they didn't even know could be free of racism and hate against every race that wasn't white then where would they be today. Probably not crapping on our flag and the lives of the people that made them free. Right or wrong that's how I feel. If you're fighting racism and inequality but disrespecting the people that fought the biggest racist of all time kind of makes you a hypocrite and a contradiction in my book
Make em earn it

MattN
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by MattN » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:31 pm

aaaaaand.. we are done here.

John
Site Man-at-Arms
Site Man-at-Arms

Post by John » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:59 am

Keep it civil.
"I'm Batman!"

lambert10
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by lambert10 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:28 am

Couple issues - first, doing it during the National Anthem is disrespectful and will never do anything for them, too many people are patriotic and don't want to see such a thing - its almost as bad as burning the flag in protest. Now, would I fight and die for your right to do it, yes I would, but that doesn't mean I will appreciate it or approve of it - EVER! I give the Cowboys props for not protesting during the Anthem!

Second, the reason they are protesting is to show support for Kapernick's cause - that cause being police brutality - which I can tell you is a freaking NON-ISSUE. The stats gathered by the FBI Uniform Crime Reporting have proven over and over their is not racial bias. Instead, the cops go where the crime is highest. Typically there is approximately 1 officer to every 10,000 citizens, which means they must play the odds and attack the areas where crime is highest. African Americans, for what ever reason, commit over 40% of all violent crime (worse yet, over 50% of all serious violent crime like Murders and Rape). Therefore, it is obvious why, even though they only account for 13% of the population, they account for 20 - 25% of those who fall to deadly force being used by the Police and are over represented in the Jail/Prison system. Those who commit violent crimes, especially serious violent crimes, are far more likely to violently resist arrest and become victims of their own bad decisions since the Police have a DUTY to arrest them. Therefore, the very reason they are protesting is pointless and baseless. (This is why I am not watching the Cowboys for the time being, because they jumped on this bandwagon by kneeling before the anthem and slapped the cops in the face - supporting the pig sock wearing Kapernick).

Third, and this is just as important, Football - Cowboys Football - was always a release. A release from every day life, release from all that was bad in the world, where everyone from every walk of life could come together, forget their differences, forget the stress and enjoy a great game of football. Now these players and owners are turning this into a Social Engineering League. I don't watch football to talk about politics or be preached at or be told I am privileged because I am white. These days, watching football is like tuning into CNN and getting some football sprinkled in. ESPN is even freaking worse!

Last, if I was to do what they are doing I would get into trouble at work. I would get disciplined and could even lose my job depending on what I did/how I did it. The Freedom of Speech ONLY stops the government from bringing sanctions upon you - such as arresting you for speaking out against them. IT DOESN'T protect you from the consequences brought on you from a private person. Basically, you piss me off as a fan, I get to voice my first amendment right by not watching you play a child's game. That is why the NFL actually has a rule in their game day manual the requires the players to stand and be on the sidelines during the National Anthem and they could be fined/suspended if the NFL was to actually enforce it. They HAVE NO RIGHT to protest at work and cause their brand (The NFL and their Team) to be injured (i.e. lose fans). The owners or the NFL could put a stop to it. The fact they don't means they are ok with my first 3 points and they need to be taught a lesson.

This isn't about race, its about understanding there are consequences for every action you take. Its about understanding that just because you have the right to do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD do it. The sooner the NFL and players understand this, the sooner they can get back to being the most popular sport in the nation. However, if it continues (looks like it will) they will lose more and more until they are a second rate organization/league. They will then have no one but themselves to blame.

Just my LOOOOONG 2 cents!
On the seventh day, God plucked a star from the skies and placed it on a silver and white helmet, saying, "They shall be called the Dallas Cowboys"