The Reality of Top Ten or Bust.

List of players for the 2016 NFL Draft
Fairweather
All-Pro
All-Pro

Re: The Reality of Top Ten or Bust.

Post by Fairweather » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:38 pm

Johnny Football, Geno Smith or Ryan Fitzpatrick, :shootme: ...?
I Am Ironman. The Suit And I Are One.

Hollywood4341
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by Hollywood4341 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:23 pm

Not sure we win any games before Romo comes back.
In fact I am confident we won't. Have had our chances and find ways to lose.
Also I don't see Romo going 6-1 when he returns. The reality is the defense has not played well in the 4th quarter of games when everything is on the line. We had leads in the 4th quarter but could not hold them.
Seattle - we led 12-10
Giants - tied 20-20
Saints tied 20-20
Falcons - we led 28-25

Romo makes us much better obviously but we have some very tough defenses to face later. (car, NYJ, BUF , and GB)
I would guess 6-10 is where we land. But definitely not a top 10 pick.
Victory has 1000 fathers but defeat is an orphan

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:05 am

**Too high for a QB because Romo will play another three years with various injuries sidelining him and crippling the team because we don't have a plan.
Jerry Jones: Tony Romo says he can help find Cowboys' next QB after his career is over
"Tony, in real genuineness said, 'We're not ready for the quarterback,' and he doesn't look sheepish when he says it, 'but when we are don't worry about it, I'll find him for you,'" Jones said.

"And by the way, I've spent in one case recently about four hours with him going over all the things he'd look for in a college quarterback as far as one for the future. So I give him a lot of credence, I really do, unbelievable as to how he's studied it."
Here is our plan. So, Tony will let us know when it's time to make a move.
:thumbsup:
#ZEKEMODE
"He's a humble kid," notes Brown. "He's a very intelligent kid. He talks about a lot of things other than football. He's interested in a lot of things other than football. But he wants to be the greatest to put on pads, so I'm going to help him get there."

Coach Steele
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by Coach Steele » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:37 am

RAIDERRED wrote:**Too high for a QB because Romo will play another three years with various injuries sidelining him and crippling the team because we don't have a plan.
Jerry Jones: Tony Romo says he can help find Cowboys' next QB after his career is over
"Tony, in real genuineness said, 'We're not ready for the quarterback,' and he doesn't look sheepish when he says it, 'but when we are don't worry about it, I'll find him for you,'" Jones said.

"And by the way, I've spent in one case recently about four hours with him going over all the things he'd look for in a college quarterback as far as one for the future. So I give him a lot of credence, I really do, unbelievable as to how he's studied it."
Here is our plan. So, Tony will let us know when it's time to make a move.
:thumbsup:
In all fairness, a broken collar bone can happen to any QB regardless of age. It is not one that is which the occurrence is increased by age (unless we are talking about osteaperosis. Still, I certainly get your point. Ideally, we would have a young QB sitting the pine for a couple of years (learning the ropes). We then take advantage of three years of him not crippling the cap. The organization needs to think about that!

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:48 am

Romo is a blessing and a curse.
This organization seems to be either stupid or cursed.
#ZEKEMODE
"He's a humble kid," notes Brown. "He's a very intelligent kid. He talks about a lot of things other than football. He's interested in a lot of things other than football. But he wants to be the greatest to put on pads, so I'm going to help him get there."

Coach Steele
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by Coach Steele » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:56 am

RAIDERRED wrote:Romo is a blessing and a curse.
Romo is a blessing. You don't need to look any further than 0-5 in last five without Romo. The curse has been mismanagement. In Romo's prime, we squandered many drafts, which would have provided him with a better defense and running game. We had a running game last year but no defense. Currently, we have a defense and we are starting to have a running game but no QB. If Giants lose one of the next two and we win the next two, the race is on. If not, we simply did no do enough to get a solid back up and we will pick up better players.

The good news is that we are drafting better.

MattN
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by MattN » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:59 pm

RAIDERRED wrote:Romo is a blessing and a curse.
:iamwithstupid:

Romo in a sense has made the Cowboys short-sighted.

Finding a franchise QB a rare thing.. Actually, it NEVER happens. It seems they have zero interest in investing in the future outside of low draft picks at the position.

Same for RB.

CanadaBruce
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by CanadaBruce » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:54 pm

So if you could go back in time, what pick in the last 5 years would have made sense to change and draft a QB?

You cant pick someone ahead of their draft position....
"I think that a man with a helmet defending his country should make more money than a man with a helmet defending a football."

CanadaBruce
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by CanadaBruce » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:13 pm

No one we could have picked....

Bridgewater over Martin? Nope
Derrick Carr over Martin? Maybe..... but Nope
Carr over Lawrence (with the same trade up) In hindsight this looks like a good move, but with the need for a DE, you can see why they would pick Lawrence.

None

Russell Wilson over every pick but we aren't the only team to screw that up
Andy Dalton would have been nice but we drafted 40 and he want 35, weren't taking him at 9 over Tyron....

So in reality only moving up and drafting Carr even in hindsight would be the only possible move and of course lucking out on Russell Wilson

not as easy to find the Romo replacement as it sounds.....
"I think that a man with a helmet defending his country should make more money than a man with a helmet defending a football."

Coach Steele
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by Coach Steele » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:45 pm

CanadaBruce wrote:2015

Carr over Lawrence (with the same trade up) In hindsight this looks like a good move, but with the need for a DE, you can see why they would pick Lawrence.

None

Andy Dalton would have been nice but we drafted 40 and he want 35, weren't taking him at 9 over Tyron....

So in reality only moving up and drafting Carr even in hindsight would be the only possible move and of course lucking out on Russell Wilson

Excellent post! Not a lot of QB's out there. Can't make chicken soup out of chicken ****. I was a fan of Gurappalo. Don't know who we give up for him though.

CanadaBruce
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by CanadaBruce » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:53 pm

Same draft as Carr

probably could have stayed where we were in 2 and taken him so that would be at the expense of Lawrence......

tom
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by tom » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:58 pm

None

:thbravo: :thbravo: :thbravo: :thbravo:

MattN
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by MattN » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:20 pm

None

Sure, hindsight is 20/20.

5 picks to grab Andy Dalton isn't a drastic move. Instead they waited on an injured Bruce Carter. Alas, the priority wasn't there so they didn't make a move. Of course, what kind of firestorm would that have caused when drafting a QB with Romo at the time heading in to the final 2 years of his very manageable contract. Coming off the 2010 injury, it would have made quite a bunch of sense to spend a pick on a QB. Therefore, picking a QB after the best LT in the game wasn't a far stretch at all. After all, they didn't need to the 2nd rounder to start in 2011. Because Bruce Carter didn't. But, HOLD THE PHONE. To go up, you may have traded away the 3rd round pick. In 2011, in the 3rd round they picked????

nevermind.

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:14 am

I'm not even talking draft where QB's are concerned. It's the mentality of this organization toward the position.

In 25 years you can count on one hand how many QB's have been drafted. We caught lightning in a bottle with Romo and were fortunate to have a QB coach in place that helped Tony develop at the beginning of his career here. Otherwise, I think he may have ended up elsewhere.

Developing is the key. That's what we don't believe in or this staff isn't capable of it.
Might be a little of both. Maybe it's a lost art.

QB is just one part of this Reality Bites Season.

Sean Lee may have to hang up his cleats. How does that sit? Where do you replace him? Draft? Free Agency?
McClain? So far, He has been a turrible waste of time and effort. The rest of this group??? What the hell happened to Hitchens?

Our safeties wouldn't know a wrap up tackle if it tackled them. Nor can they cover.
Mo and Carr are JAGS....

We have to practically rebuild the backend of this defense because we didn't build it right to begin with.
The upside here is that we have a great young one to build around and we get Scandrick back.

Oh and we need a RB. McFadden is totally killing it, but how much has he got in the tank?
This is the first time in his career that he has shouldered this much of the load.

Right now we sit a 7th.

Garrett may not survive this.
Especially if the rumors about Sean Payton are true.
#ZEKEMODE

MattN
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by MattN » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:32 am

RAIDERRED wrote:
Garrett may not survive this.
Especially if the rumors about Sean Payton are true.
As much as I like Garrett, getting Sean Payton would be a tremendous upgrade.

I don't mind keeping Rod Marinelli with Payton here also, continuity on the D would be great!