Hall of Fame

A'Shawn Robinson, DL Bama

Post by RAIDERRED » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:57 am

HT WT HANDS ARMS WING SPAN 40 TIME
-- -- -- -- -- --
*2016 Draft Connection Note
Nick Saban, Lane Kiffin among others.
Mouse Over to Enlarge
When A’Shawn Robinson speaks, there aren’t many in Alabama’s locker room who don’t heed his words.
Making a choice

He might have the build of a talented football player, but there was a time when Robinson imagined himself dunking basketballs instead of tackling running backs.

He began playing under Johnson when he was eight years old. Johnson said she knew he was going to be a great player from the beginning.

“You just show him what you wanted him to do and you just worked with him for a little bit,” Johnson said. “He eventually picked it up like it just came naturally to him.”

In high school he helped his team reach state twice in his four-year career. Even now, it’s a sport he likes to play whenever he gets a chance.

“Basketball is like his mistress,” Abigail Robinson said.
Robinson is actually 20 years old, born on Mar. 21, 1995.
#ZEKEMODE
"He's a humble kid," notes Brown. "He's a very intelligent kid. He talks about a lot of things other than football. He's interested in a lot of things other than football. But he wants to be the greatest to put on pads, so I'm going to help him get there."

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: A'Shawn Robinson, DL Bama

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:21 am

Strengths:

A big-bodied defensive lineman who has the versatility to play multiple positions along a defensive line. Strong inside player who occupies multiple blockers and allows others to flow to the ball. Generates a push inside with brute strength and leverage. Uses his long arms to keep blockers off him, will often times use just one arm to fend off a lineman while keeping the other free to make a tackle. Athletic for a big man shows good balance, can run down the line and make a tackle on the ball carrier. Played in a two-gap 3-4 front at Alabama and showed good awareness and recognition by quickly locating the ball and recognizing run versus pass. Committed to his conditioning and lost weight heading into his junior season and it showed on the field as he looked quicker and more athletic. A starter the last two years, and was an immediate contributor for the Crimson Tide as a freshman.

Weakness:

Is not a pass-rusher, most of his pressures will come via bull rushes up the middle. Can get pushed inside losing containment on the edge and creating a big play opportunity for the opponent. Can get locked up by single blocks at times. Does not possess a quick first step, looks like he is lumbering when he loops outside on stunts. Might be best suited to play in a two-gap odd man front, where he is strictly there to occupy blockers and defend the run.

Improvements Needed:

During his time at Alabama Robinson has not been asked to get after the quarterback much, instead his responsibilities were to maintain his gap integrity on either side of his blocker then to quickly identify run versus pass and then attack. So the fact his sacks (3.5) and tackles for loss (7.5) numbers do not match up to some of the other defensive line prospects are understandable. In the NFL though he will be asked to generate more of a consistent pass rush if not then he could get labeled as just a run stuffer and a two-down lineman.
#ZEKEMODE
"He's a humble kid," notes Brown. "He's a very intelligent kid. He talks about a lot of things other than football. He's interested in a lot of things other than football. But he wants to be the greatest to put on pads, so I'm going to help him get there."

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:22 am

STRENGTHS: Built like a vending machine with proportionate bulk, strength and balance to be effective as a pass rusher and run stopper. He has the upper-body strength to push the pocket and not only does he test well physically, but his coaches say he's one of the most intelligent on the team.
WEAKNESSES: Robinson is still learning how to use his hands and is developing his pass rush repertoire.

IN OUR VIEW: The stoutest of Alabama's three-headed monster of future first-round picks, Robinson is surprisingly agile for his size but his game is all about power, making him a better fit in a two-gap alignment.

--Dane Brugler and Rob Rang (1/11/16)
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:31 am

Pros:

Awesome bull rusher.
Great two gap run stopper.
Can basically play every position on the defensive.
Enough speed and explosion to play a 7 tech, enough strength to play a 3 tech.
Very strong.
Speed, explosion very good.
Amazing awareness and high football I.Q.
High motor guy.

Cons:

Inconsistent pass rush.
Won’t be a guy like Dareus, who is a strong pass rusher.
He sometimes stands up too tall and loses leverage which leads to him getting pushed around.

Bottom Line: I like A’Shawn Robinson, but I expect a lot more from him. I saw and heard about the hype surrounding him and I am not sure if it’s warranted. I see Nkemdiche on tape yesterday, and a see a 5 tech who explodes off the line so he can get after the passer, and Robinson lacks this. He is consistently getting stood up at the LOS. I do think he has speed and explosion, but he needs to use his strength to his advantage, which is by getting leverage. I see A’Shawn playing a 3 or 5 tech in the NFL. He’s an amazing two gap run stopper, and he has a ton of potential in regards to his pass rushing. I would like him to get a little lower when he is rushing so he can consistently get to the QB more often. I think A’Shawn has a very good bull rush, which is something I really like about him. I think there are better defensive line prospects out there, so I will give a harsh grade for A’Shawn, which is mid to late first round. There was some early first round hype for him, but I do not see it.
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:44 am

The former 5-star recruit is a third year junior and a two year starter for Alabama. All indications are that he may enter the 2016 NFL Draft.

Size – 6040 – 315 – 5.00 (all estimates)

Strong Points – Great size with bulk and length. Very strong. Can two gap or play in a gap. Good instincts, finds the ball, makes plays. Aggressive demeanor on the field. Knows how to use his hands and is quick to shed blocks. Has good lateral agility and will chase the ball. Good snap reaction with an above average first step.

Weak Points – Not an explosive guy in that he lacks quick twitch and top end speed. Just an adequate pass rusher who is more of a bull rusher. Not good at putting moves together. Had 5.5 sacks as a freshman and has 3.0 to date this year, but they are more cleanup-type sacks.

Summation – A versatile defensive lineman in that he can play in a 4-3 or a 3-4. Can play anywhere along the line in a 3-4 scheme. Is best as a rundown player but he can give you something as a pass rusher. Until he perfects his pass rush skills he will be limited to being a rundown player early in his career. Has the skillset to come in and start as a rookie and contribute. Is competitive and plays hard. Has a bright future in the league. Won’t be a Pro Bowl type player but more of a solid starter
#ZEKEMODE

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:45 am

Personally...he's a 3-4 player.
"How do we begin to covet? We covet what we see everyday"....Hannibal Lechter...The Silence of the Lambs

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:24 am

Defensive tackle was the hardest position to choose, as defensive line is probably the deepest position in the draft, and multiple underclassmen will go in the first round. Robinson gets the nod after anchoring the Alabama defense in two seasons as a starter. The Crimson Tide won the National Championship this year with the strongest front seven in college football. Robinson’s statistics, 46 tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss and 3.5 sacks, won’t blow you away, but what makes him special are the things that don’t show up on the stat line.
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:59 am

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah believes Alabama DL A'Shawn Robinson's "best football is ahead of him."
"Robinson has all of the tools to be a dominant three-down presence but he hasn't put it all together yet," Jeremiah writes, while ranking the defensive lineman No. 15 overall in his latest rankings. "Big Draft," ESPN and NFL Media, love Robinson's game much more than other evaluators. From our seat, that likely means NFL teams do too. We believe Robinson is a very solid run defender, but he offered very little as an upfield disruptor and pass rusher over the last two years. That is a big concern for a top 20 selection.
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:33 am

Third-year junior. "He doesn't play with the same consistency that (Jarran) Reed does," said one scout. "He's not stiff. He can play 3-technique or 5-technique. I don't like him as a nose because he plays tall." Started 30 of 42 games, finishing with 9 sacks and 22 tackles for loss. Won't turn 21 until next month. "Big run stuffer with pass-rush ability," one scout said.
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:11 pm

Following the Alabama pro day, I was told by an AFC East general manager that defensive lineman A'Shawn Robinson is viewed by his team as a two-down player, and not someone they'd draft in the first round. Robinson has been out of the first round in my last two mock drafts.
#ZEKEMODE