Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Miles Killebrew, S Southern Utah

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:15 am

HT WT HANDS ARMS WING SPAN 40 TIME
6016 219 9 1/4 31 3/8 78 1/2 --
*2016 Draft Connection Note
Former SUU OC Gary Crowton, also at Oregon State, was with Les Miles at LSU
The scoop: "He's a better football player than Shaq Thompson and Deone Bucannon were when they came out." -- Area scout on Southern Utah safety Miles Killebrew

The skinny: That is high praise -- Thompson and Bucannon both were first-round picks. However, we're not surprised to hear such talk about Killebrew, who has accepted an invitation to the Reese's Senior Bowl. He jumps off the tape and has a chance to be a name you'll hear a lot leading up to the draft. Killebrew has good size at a little under 6-2 and 230 pounds. He's been clocked at 4.45 in the 40. Everything we hear is that his character is impeccable.
#ZEKEMODE
"He's a humble kid," notes Brown. "He's a very intelligent kid. He talks about a lot of things other than football. He's interested in a lot of things other than football. But he wants to be the greatest to put on pads, so I'm going to help him get there."

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Miles Killebrew, S Southern Utah

Post by RAIDERRED » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:49 pm

Teams will look at Killebrew’s enormous stature (62”, 227 pounds) and feel compelled to slot him at outside linebacker. This would be a waste of secondary talent.
Killebrew possesses above average football speed. He is not fast for his size, he’s just fast. His game film depicts him lined up on outside receivers frequently. How many 230 pound safeties are quick enough to run vertically with wideouts? In the NFL, he will be asked to do this less, as you do not want to constantly subject him to potential exposure. Expect him to run in the 4.5 range, but more importantly, his three cone drill time may show his agility.
#ZEKEMODE
"He's a humble kid," notes Brown. "He's a very intelligent kid. He talks about a lot of things other than football. He's interested in a lot of things other than football. But he wants to be the greatest to put on pads, so I'm going to help him get there."

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:50 pm

Killebrew’s vision and coordination stand out. He reads the quarterback’s eyes well, and takes crisps angles to the ball in flight. Five interceptions and 22 passes defended illustrate how quickly he can reach the ball.
During his four year stay in Cedar City, Killebrew snagged 356 tackles. Although he is an excellent coverage safety, do not confuse that for being a finesse one. Killebrew is a destructive hitter, forcing 6 fumbles during his career. He is adept at tackling in space, whether downfield or on screens. He will play the run as viciously the pass. No receiver can block him without holding due to his size and strength. There is not drag down technique to him.
#ZEKEMODE

Fairweather
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by Fairweather » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:18 pm

I'll have an ice cold Killebrew please.
I Am Ironman. The Suit And I Are One.

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:31 am

Utah Southern senior S Miles Killebrew is "this year's version of Jaquiski Tartt," posits NFL Media draft analyst Chad Reuter.
Tartt, you'll recall, was a 2015 second-round pick of the 49ers. "Killebrew [is] a linebacker-sized strong safety who shuts down FCS receivers and running backs on a regular basis," Reuter wrote. "While he has great size, Killebrew doesn't just play inside the box, though he'll likely flourish there on Sundays." The 6-foot-3, 230-pound Killebrew has been clocked with a 4.45 forty. An NFL scout told NFL.com recently that Killebrew is "a better football player than Shaq Thompson and Deone Bucannon were when they came out."
#ZEKEMODE

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:50 am

He needs to nicely slip into the 3rd round...and since he played at a small school he might.

It'd be nice if he shows up and does well in meetings with our guys....and then struggles a bit on the field at the Sr. Bowl.
"How do we begin to covet? We covet what we see everyday"....Hannibal Lechter...The Silence of the Lambs

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:40 pm

Killebrew was a four-year starter for the Thunderbirds. He lines up as a box safety and functions basically as a linebacker in this scheme.

He is a dominant run defender. He is quick to diagnose and he explodes downhill toward the football. He is a very dynamic, explosive tackler. He produces big shots in the alley as well as between the tackles.

He doesn't have much coverage responsibility but he has the speed and athleticism to cover backs and tight ends. I don't envision him as a traditional high safety but he should excel at strong safety or weakside linebacker.
"How do we begin to covet? We covet what we see everyday"....Hannibal Lechter...The Silence of the Lambs

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:30 am

#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:24 pm

HT:6016
WT:219
HANDS:9 1/4
ARMS:31 3/8
SPAN:78 1/2
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:11 pm

Killebrew is a fun player to watch on tape. He lines up as a box safety and he delivers some "wow" hits in just about every game. It's easy to spot his speed and explosiveness on the screen, and that will translate to impressive testing numbers. Last spring, scouts timed him in the mid-4.4s at close to 230 pounds. He's since dropped his weight to around 217 pounds, which means he could potentially run a sub-4.4 40-yard dash. As an added bonus, he's viewed as one of the highest character players in the entire draft class. He's likely to go in the late-second/early-third-round range.
#ZEKEMODE

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:47 pm

Responsible player who rarely gets caught out of position.....Shows adequate route recognition in man......He's able to read the quarterback when playing deep zone.....Intimidating presence over the middle with enough range to cover deep half.......Faster than he is quick......Doesn't appear rangy enough to play centerfield on tape either.....Tracks the ball well and snatches it out of the air.......Good body control......Thumper with above average stopping power......Takes sound angles and plays with good body control.....Effective latch-on tackler......Room for improvement when it comes to getting off blocks.

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:10 pm

Kyle Crabbs ‏@NDTScouting
Killebrew had 27 combined INT/PBU
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:13 pm

"Tightly bundled muscle hammer with a compact frame and the thighs of a track sprinter. World-class form tackler with bad intentions behind his strikes. Patient and willing to wait until he's in proper range before exploding with everything he has into his victim."
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:14 pm

Killebrew's size, strength and explosiveness are especially surprising when you consider the fact that he didn't visit the weight room in high school. "I didn't lift weights in high school because my dad kept me off of them," Killebrew recently told the Las Vegas Sun. "It was to the dismay of my high school coach, but he just wanted me to protect my body since I was still growing." Instead of lifting, Killebrew followed a regimen based on Herschel Walker's legendary bodyweight training, which included 1,000 Push-Ups a day.
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:15 pm

While that helped him stay super lean, he needed to add bulk when he arrived at Southern Utah. He was a lanky 6-foot-2, 180-pound cornerback in high school, but his college coaches switched him to strong safety. Finally able to get inside the weight room, Killebrew packed on a whopping 50 pounds of muscle by his senior year. He used that added mass to punish ball carriers, racking up 243 tackles over his final two seasons.
#ZEKEMODE