Hall of Fame

Joey Bosa, DE Ohio St.

Post by RAIDERRED » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:40 pm

HT WT HANDS ARMS WING SPAN 40 TIME
6'5 269 10 1/4 33 3/8 -- 4.86
*2016 Draft Connection Note
Urban Myer-Scott Linehan-Tom Herman-Rod Marinelli
Mouse Over to Enlarge
Excellent core strength with a NFL body at a young age. Flexible athlete and doesn't play tight. Bosa has an explosive get-off which helps him generate an immediate advantage over offensive tackles. Better yet, he possesses terrific upper body strength and technically-refined hand usage.
Natural lateral quickness to sidestep blockers with athletic swim moves to step outside and swat inside. Good initial quickness for his size, staying low and generating an immediate push. Heavy-handed and uses his full extension to put blockers on skates. Natural knee bend at the point of attack, using his limbs to work off blocks and mirror the ballcarrier.
Not as quick as some of the NFL's elite edge rushers. Not a quick-twitch rusher and doesn't play with consistent explosion. Needs to improve his inside shoulder dip to leverage his body into blockers around the edge.
#ZEKEMODE
"He's a humble kid," notes Brown. "He's a very intelligent kid. He talks about a lot of things other than football. He's interested in a lot of things other than football. But he wants to be the greatest to put on pads, so I'm going to help him get there."

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Joey Bosa, DE Ohio St.

Post by RAIDERRED » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:41 pm

Strengths:

Athletic defensive lineman who does a great job of converting speed to power. Wins most battles at the line of scrimmage with technique, power and quickness. Has quick and powerful hands, as you will see him jolt an offensive lineman backward, getting his hands inside their pads while at the same time swiping their arms off him and rushing by them.

Shows tremendous strength when bull rushing an offensive lineman into his quarterback, then quickly tossing him aside and getting the sack. Shows a variety of pass rush moves like the swim, rip, club, and spin. Draws a lot of attention from the opposing offenses, will almost regularly see a back or tight end chip him, if he is not already being double-teamed. Can play both the right and left defensive end position. Can be moved inside to defensive tackle to allow for more pass rushers to get on the field. Is very effective playing the run, as he is strong at the point of attack and rarely gives up any ground. Can set a strong edge where he will stand up the offensive lineman, shed him and get to the runner. Can take on multiple blockers and yet still tackle the ball carrier. Is effective at taking on and beating double teams.

Weakness:

Bosa lacks the explosive first step that most of the dominant pass rushers seem to have, and instead wins most battles with quickness and technique. Does not pursue the play from the backside, if the play is away from him or downfield he stops chasing the action. Does not change direction quickly, will need to slow down before he redirects. Shows some stiffness in his hips and will strictly be a defensive lineman, as he would be a liability in coverage as an outside linebacker. Can get caught trying to locate the ball, as play action and zone read fakes tend to slow him down a bit. Has a tendency to try and guess the snap count and gets caught off sides.
#ZEKEMODE
"He's a humble kid," notes Brown. "He's a very intelligent kid. He talks about a lot of things other than football. He's interested in a lot of things other than football. But he wants to be the greatest to put on pads, so I'm going to help him get there."

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:08 pm

Lacks flexibility..doesn't get off on the snap......

I wonder what Coach Rod thinks??????????????????????????

:insane:
"How do we begin to covet? We covet what we see everyday"....Hannibal Lechter...The Silence of the Lambs

Fairweather
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by Fairweather » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:26 pm

He's not that impressive on first look, but JJ Watt wasn't either and he went #11. Still, I'm not sure the other top rated DEs won't match or better his future career stats
I Am Ironman. The Suit And I Are One.

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:20 pm

Bosa was a three-year starter at defensive end for the Buckeyes. Against the run, he has a quick punch to shock blockers before shedding and finding the ball. He is very consistent at holding the point of attack on the front side and he uses effort and quickness to make plays on the back side.

As a pass rusher, he lacks an elite burst but he generates a lot of pressure because of his athletic ability and technique. He has very quick hands and a variety of moves. He plays with excellent pad level and he can push the pocket with his bull rush. His effort is excellent. Overall, Bosa isn't dynamic but he is very athletic, disruptive and productive.
"How do we begin to covet? We covet what we see everyday"....Hannibal Lechter...The Silence of the Lambs

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:09 pm

Charlie Campbell reported that Bosa is regarded by some as a 5-7 overall player; not a top prospect as many believe he is.

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:32 am

Considered one of the front-runners to be selected No. 1 overall since the completion of the 2015 draft, Bosa’s best fit would be as a 4-3 defensive end, but he could play outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. After recording 13.5 sacks and 21 tackles for loss as a sophomore, his statistics fell to five sacks and 16 tackles for loss in 2015, as offenses focused their attention on him. Just because he didn’t record many sacks this year doesn’t mean he wasn’t producing pressure. Per CFB Film Room, he recorded 24 quarterback hits (which led their charting by seven) and another 24 hurries.
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:06 pm

No list of potential combine freaks is complete without a 6-foot-5, 280-pound lineman who can do a standing backflip. Along with being a strong possibility to be a top-five pick in the draft, Bosa should rate very high in explosiveness testing, such as the vertical jump. Agility drills tend to be more difficult for taller players, but Bosa should be the exception there, and don't be surprised if he breaks 4.8 in the 40-yard dash.
#ZEKEMODE

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:18 pm

Bosa has been a highly hyped star prospect the past few years. Even in the preseason teams felt that Bosa was overrated and was more of a prospect in the 5-7 range rather than a top of the draft talent. In his junior year Bosa totaled 51 tackles with 16 for a loss and five sacks for the year, a big drop from the 14.5 sacks as a sophomore. Adding to the decline in production, teams have some off the field concerns with Bosa. Thus, his Combine interviews are going to be very important.

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:19 pm

Family blood-lines are concerning some teams also.

Both Dad and Mom's brother were NFL BUSTS.

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:58 pm

Like Tunsil, Bosa is a contender for the No. 1 overall pick who will have some questions to answer at the Combine. He was suspended for the 2015 season opener due to a violation of team rules, which was a failed drug test for marijuana according to reports. After the suspension, Bosa put himself in isolation this past season to avoid any other poor decisions
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:49 am

No, Bosa isn't that twitched-up speed rusher like Von Miller. But he doesn't need to be in order to disrupt and affect the offensive gameplan. His mechanics, leverage and power off the snap allow him to be effective, but he also has the explosive traits that stand out on film. Bosa should post positive numbers in the 10-yard split and vertical jump, securing his spot in the top-five picks.
#ZEKEMODE

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:52 am

Everything I read about this guy screams put on 20-pounds and play 5-tech if you want to be All-Pro.

I just don't see them moving Lawrence to the other End.

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:56 pm

Need to keep an eye on how things go for Bosa during these workouts. Getting a vibe from around the league that there are several teams that are split on him – not in a good / bad way but in how high you would select him. There are some scouts that absolutely love the player and others that feel like he is not quick-twitched enough to be an outstanding edge rusher in this league. I tend to side with this group. I see a very good player but not a great one. If the Cowboys were to draft him, I believe that he has to play on the left side and that would mean potentially moving DeMarcus Lawrence to the right side
Broaddus

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:17 am

My fear.
If Ohio State edge rusher Joey Bosa is available at pick No. 4 for the Cowboys, "I don't think he's there" at pick No. 5, Dane Brugler tweeted.
#ZEKEMODE