List of players for the 2016 NFL Draft
RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Christian Hackenberg, QB Penn St.

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:30 pm

HT WT HANDS ARMS WING SPAN 40 TIME
-- -- -- -- -- --
Palmer is Hackenberg's quarterback coach/tutor/guru. Most top prospects have one to prepare for the draft. This particular one has spent eight years as an NFL backup and is the brother of the Cardinals' quarterback, Carson Palmer.
At this moment -- and as long as the Cardinals are alive in the playoffs -- Christian will be Carson -- preparing as if he were going to play in the upcoming games: film study, throwing, precise nutrition, even a conference call with Jordan's 36-year-old brother.
“I just wanted to come into a situation where it was just like work,” Hackenberg said of this draft/playoff/life prep. “I didn't have to worry about cameras. Focus on myself and get prepared as possible.
They come to each other well-recommended. Blake Bortles worked under Palmer before becoming the overall No. 3 pick by the Jaguars two years ago.
Hackenberg deserves much credit for making it this far. Recall that he honored his five-star commitment to then-Penn State coach Bill O'Brien despite the crippling Jerry Sandusky penalties.
He says O'Brien once told him the only quarterback to pick up his system so quickly “is going to the Hall of Fame.” That would be Tom Brady.

“Christian ran an NFL system at 18,”
#ZEKEMODE
"He's a humble kid," notes Brown. "He's a very intelligent kid. He talks about a lot of things other than football. He's interested in a lot of things other than football. But he wants to be the greatest to put on pads, so I'm going to help him get there."

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Christian Hackenberg, QB Penn St.

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:35 pm

STRENGTHS

Very good arm strength, second strongest in this draft class behind Cardale Jones. Hackenberg’s arm along will make him a top pick.
Prototypical frame for a pro style quarterback.
Very poised in the pocket.
Above average mobility.
Excellent play-action quarterback and also knows how to throw on the run.

WEAKNESSES

Needs to work on being consistent with his accuracy. This could be due to him standing flat footed at times, which is something else he needs to work on.
Needs to work on recognizing when a play is dead, rolling out and throwing it away.
Could improve on his ability to read or identify blitzes.
#ZEKEMODE
"He's a humble kid," notes Brown. "He's a very intelligent kid. He talks about a lot of things other than football. He's interested in a lot of things other than football. But he wants to be the greatest to put on pads, so I'm going to help him get there."

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:36 pm

Strengths:

Big, tall, strong-armed quarterback who can make all the throws. Might have one of the strongest arms in college football and he knows it. Will try to fit the ball into small openings due to the confidence he has in his arm strength. Has played in a pro-style offense under two separate head coaches. Will read the defense and go through his progressions. Shows good pocket awareness and has a feel for where pressure is coming from which allows him to avoid big hits. Has shown some athletic ability in side stepping defenders, escaping pressure and picking up yardage with his legs. Can roll out of the pocket, keep his eyes downfield and make throws on the run. Possesses a nice over-the-top throwing motion and a quick release.

Weakness:

Has developed some bad habits like throwing off his back foot and into coverage. Appears to have somewhat of a gunslinger’s mentality and will put the ball in harm’s way. Will stare down his receivers and tends to wait too long for them to get open. Not very accurate throwing the ball downfield. Played behind a poor offensive line as a sophomore where he was hit or sacked often, causing him at times to not step into his throws which caused the ball to sail on him. Looked like a different quarterback when studying his freshman and sophomore tapes. As a sophomore appeared to be rattled on the field (See: game versus Ohio State in 2014). Often times was sensing pressure prematurely and getting rid of the ball without setting his feet. Does not show the ability to throw the ball with touch, on a majority of his throws the ball appears to be on a line.
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:40 pm

Hackenberg's best season was 2013 when Texans coach Bill O'Brien still was at Penn State.

"Physically, he can do it," one scout said. "When Bill O'Brien was coaching him, he was pretty good. He hasn't been coached in two years. He's not real accurate. You watch him on the sidelines, he's a little pouty."
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:54 pm

Matt Miller ✔ @nfldraftscout
FWIW, scouts have told me Hackenberg isn't able to make protection changes or audibles at the line. Franklin doesn't want him "thinking"
11:59 AM - 12 Sep 2015
#ZEKEMODE

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:14 pm

Penn State fired the OC/QB coach after the season.

He's struggled for two years under the guy.
"How do we begin to covet? We covet what we see everyday"....Hannibal Lechter...The Silence of the Lambs

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:01 am

Would it be so bad to end with this guy later in the draft?????
Can you fix a battered QB psyche?
#ZEKEMODE

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:28 am

RAIDERRED wrote:Would it be so bad to end with this guy later in the draft?????
Can you fix a battered QB psyche?
I'd think you can correct his confidence....if he isn't psychotic. (see Ryan Leaf)

I wonder just how much one can fix his "pocket-presence".
The kid has courage and will stand in there...but he doesn't move away from pressure much.
"How do we begin to covet? We covet what we see everyday"....Hannibal Lechter...The Silence of the Lambs

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:30 am

Sources with multiple teams have been extremely critical of Penn State head coach James Franklin and his handling of quarterback Christian Hackeneberg. Just to be clear, none of these sources are with the Houston Texans. They say that Franklin was a terrible coach for Hackenberg. These sources have known Franklin for years and feel he is responsible for a lot of the problems with Hackenberg. Franklin tore down Hackenberg and hurt his confidence.

They say that Franklin is a rah-rah type of coach who showed a lot of favoritism toward the players he brought to Penn State over the players he inherited from Bill O'Brien and Joe Paterno. On top of Franklin's poor handling, Hackenberg was sacked 103 times in his 38 collegiate games with the vast majority of those sacks coming in the two seasons with Franklin.

The offensive line was pathetic, but teams feel that Franklin set up Hackenberg for some failure because he tried to fit a square peg into a round hole from a scheme perspective. They feel a good coach would have adapted their scheme to Hackenberg and the other pro-style players O'Brien cultivated. They say that Franklin never embraced Hackenbarg as his guy to lead the program.

The sources from these teams already have franchise quarterbacks and were just calling it like they see it. They believe that Hackenberg could get selected on Day 2. Some around the believe still think that Hackenberg could go late in the first round because there are so many teams that are utterly desperate to land a franchise quarterback.

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:58 am

On Monday, we talked about how some teams were very critical about how Penn State head coach James Franklin handled quarterback Christian Hackenberg. Over the past few months, there have been media reports questioning Hackenberg as a teammate and suggesting he was disliked in the Penn State locker room.

A few weeks back, we caught up with a former teammate, Tampa Bay Buccaneers left tackle Donovan Smith. Smith who disputed those claims. This week, I spoke with Carl Nassib and asked him about the reports that Hackenberg was a bad teammate and disliked in the locker room. Nassib was stunned and his jaw hit he floor. He couldn't believe it. "Interesting, I had not heard that. Really?" said Nassib. "That is false. No. That is definitely speculation. Christian is a great player and a great teammate."

Nassib is known as a high-character hard worker who was beloved by Franklin and former head coach Bill O'Brien. Thus, when Nassib responds in that fashion it carries some weight

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:20 pm

I'd be okay with this guy being a consolation prize....
#ZEKEMODE

John
Site Man-at-Arms
Site Man-at-Arms

Post by John » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:29 pm

Where would you like him at on the board?
"I'm Batman!"

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:59 pm

John wrote:Where would you like him at on the board?
Since he's a QB, he'll get over drafted......in the 2nd round most likely.

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:38 pm

Though he didn’t attend the Senior Bowl, Christian Hackenberg is another signal-caller whose upside potential excites NFL decision-makers. Some eyebrows were raised when Hackenberg left for the NFL Draft after two dismal seasons, but the situation at Penn State was untenable for him. He offers the physical skills to start on Sunday and teams truly believe with proper coaching he’ll reach his potential in the NFL, something Hackenberg would’ve never achieved on the college level. No one I’ve spoken with in the past two months believes Hackenberg will drop out of the draft’s top 75 picks.
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:55 pm

I read a tidbit today that hinted that the Texans "may" pull the trigger in round one.
#ZEKEMODE