Hall of Fame

Cardale Jones, QB Ohio St.

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:45 pm

HT WT HANDS ARMS WING SPAN 40 TIME
-- -- -- -- -- --
*2016 Draft Connection Note
Urben Myer-Scott Linehan-Tom Herman-Rod Marinelli
Mouse Over to Enlarge
"(Jones) has by far the best arm," said one scout. "Great size. Big hands. Just a natural thrower. He had great stretch last year when he was dominant.

"But he seems a little bit like a knucklehead. He's speaking out. His body language isn't good on the field. But some offensive coordinator will say, 'Oh, I can fix him.'"
#ZEKEMODE
"He's a humble kid," notes Brown. "He's a very intelligent kid. He talks about a lot of things other than football. He's interested in a lot of things other than football. But he wants to be the greatest to put on pads, so I'm going to help him get there."

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Re: Cardale Jones, QB Ohio St.

Post by 34yearsnow » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:59 am

He was buried on the bench.....got a chance to play.....and became an over-night sensation.

He didn't handle this very well...and said some things that were ill-advised.

I don't think he's an Einstein.....so he have a learning-curve and he's only started 11 games in college. (11-0)
"How do we begin to covet? We covet what we see everyday"....Hannibal Lechter...The Silence of the Lambs

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Jones is naturally accurate, but he can continue to improve with more consistent footwork. Makes accurate throws when off-balance and off-platform. Good placement when throwing on the run, especially on out-cutting routes.

Quick, compact delivery. Outstanding velocity on intermediate throws. Has no trouble driving the ball vertically. His load-to-arrival time is elite.

Has adequate foot quickness to avoid late-flashing rushers, but also the strength to stay on his feet and make throws with defenders hanging on him. He's a bowling ball of a runner when he takes off out of the pocket and gains momentum.
"How do we begin to covet? We covet what we see everyday"....Hannibal Lechter...The Silence of the Lambs

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:31 pm

On my board he sits in the fourth round. There are moments where you see tremendous arm strength, but there are also snaps where the ball is all over the place. Like Paxton Lynch, he has had to work hard to get his footwork correct from playing underneath center. He will need to change the perspective in the scouts eyes that he can step in the huddle, call a play and execute it. This is one of the most intriguing players in the draft. He has the potential to make a front office look very smart -- or get everyone fired.

Broaddus

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:14 am

But quarterbacks like Cardale Jones don’t come around often. His positive attitude, arm talent, athleticism and remarkable upside don’t lend themselves to being pushed aside. And despite recent project passers like Jones slipping to Day 3 (Logan Thomas and Brett Hundley), he is a different, misunderstood NFL draft prospect.
#ZEKEMODE
"He's a humble kid," notes Brown. "He's a very intelligent kid. He talks about a lot of things other than football. He's interested in a lot of things other than football. But he wants to be the greatest to put on pads, so I'm going to help him get there."

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:15 am

Jones offers elite arm strength, and he knows it. He’s willing to take chances downfield, finish throws with defenders on him and make 20-plus-yard throws. His arm strength allows him to be late on throws and attempt vertical passes despite not being set, a skill set that excites NFL teams because he can get away with mistakes and turn checkdowns into downfield opportunities.
Jones is simply overconfident in his arm, especially in his velocity control. One of his biggest areas of concern is that he doesn’t yet have a feel for the throws he can make and the ones that he should play with more control and safeness.

Jones can make every throw, but that doesn’t mean he should try. Jones tries to complete passes across the field with poor footwork and limited anticipation of defensive alignments, leading to obvious mistakes.
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:16 am

Despite those concerns, one key part of Jones’ scouting report can’t be underappreciated: he’s made just 10 starts in his college career. While a lack of starting experience is a detriment for many quarterback passers, I believe it actually supports Jones’ top-100 draft potential.
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:18 am

Now, he’ll be available for a mere second- or third-round pick. It’s just a matter of which team is willing to give him the confidence and patience that Urban Meyer never did. And that team won’t be sorry they did.
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:06 am

Mike Rodak ‏@mikerodak 5 minutes ago
Bills say that OC Greg Roman and QBs coach David Lee are at Ohio State’s Pro Day today to watch Cardale Jones throw.
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:22 am

CollegeFootball 24/7 ‏@NFL_CFB 4 minutes ago
Urban Meyer: Cardale Jones' skill set is ridiculous. ... No doubt he can play in NFL. He'll need a little patience.
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:51 am

Albert BreerVerified account@AlbertBreer
Cardale Jones working out now. George Whitfield told me Jones has the strongest arm of any QB he's worked with -- including Cam Newton.
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:15 pm

CFB Film Room ‏@CFBFilmRoom 1 minute ago
Cardale Jones on passes thrown 20+ yards downfield (2014-15 seasons): 28-60 (46.7%), 12 TD, 2 Int
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:31 pm

NFL Media draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah predicted that Ohio State QB Cardale Jones would be selected in the second round.

Jeremiah offered his bold assertion during the NFL Network's Path to the Draft program, saying, "I think a lot of people say fourth round, maybe a little later -- he got benched this season -- I'm going to put him in the second round." The analyst elaborated that it might be closer to the bottom of that round. But still, the second round. Jeremiah added that "there's going to be a quarterback coach (or) an offensive coordinator who is going to go to the GM and say, 'This guy has such rare physical tools, give me some time to work with him, I will get it out of him." It's really not the most outlandish projection we've seen for a draft prospect. Jones always had that element of impressive physical talent--that he bombed out as a starter for the Buckeyes this season was likely the result of a number of factors, not the least of which was based in unreasonable expectation for an inexperienced player.
#ZEKEMODE

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:09 pm

Does not see the whole field........Is frequently late on throws........ Holds onto the ball entirely too long......Must speed up his mental clock....... Stares down his primary receiver and leads defenders to where he's going with the ball (third-quarter INT vs. Indiana was a prime example).......Misses too many open targets and leaves too many completions on the field....Some of his best moments are on plays that he extends with his feet....Love his on-field competitiveness......He has no problem throwing his body around as a blocker.......Also appeared unfazed on the biggest stages during 2014 postseason run.....Was 11-0 as a starter but his lack of game experience is concerning with just 11 college starts.....Accuracy took a dive in 2015 (compared to three starts in 2014 season).....Statistically similar, but the tape tells a different story......Makes some great throws and fits the ball into some tight windows.....Flashes the ability to make accurate throws when off-balance and off-platform.......Footwork is a mess and his ball placement suffers, as a result.... He gets lazy with his feet in the pocket, and he needs to do a better job tying his feet to his eyes when going through progressions.......Gets his feet stuck in cement as he scans the field, so when he decides to pull the trigger, his feet aren't in balanced position and he's not able to step to his target...........He's inconsistent with his touch......Throws too many fastballs on passes that require touch.........Even when he's completing throws, he's often missing within the strikezone, which is limiting run-after-catch opportunities for his receivers.....Quick, compact delivery......Very good velocity on intermediate throws.....Has no trouble driving the ball vertically......Late feeling pressure, but he does display above-average pocket mobility once he senses/sees the oncoming pressure.... Will hang tough in pocket and deliver a strike...... Shows no fear......Has adequate foot quickness to avoid late-flashing rushers, but also the strength to stay on his feet and make throws with defenders hanging on him.......Breaks a lot of tackles and extends many plays because of his strength......Surprisingly dangerous as an open field runner...... Displays very good vision and build-up speed (for his size).......He's also a powerful runner when he builds momentum.

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:39 am

In a CBS Sports poll of NFL personnel (from scouts to general managers), Ohio State QB Cardale Jones ranked as the most underrated player in the draft.

Jones received five votes as most underrated, which tied with Maryland DE/OLB Yannick Ngakoue. One scout said of the 6-foot-5, 253-pound Jones, "If the plan is to develop the young quarterback rather than play him immediately, anyway, why not take the bigger, stronger athlete and let your coaches unlock his potential?" As CBS Sports draft analyst Rob Rang wrote, Jones "wowed the 130+ NFL personnel who attended Ohio State's [P]ro [D]ay, showing off the velocity which earned him the nickname "12 Gauge" as well as surprising touch and accuracy." Jones made just seven starts in college and his lack of experience will prevent him from serving as a true plug-and-play option, but there's momentum behind him being drafted as high as the second round.
#ZEKEMODE