Re: Official NFL Combine Thread: 2/27

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:07 pm

CollegeFootball 24/7 ‏@NFL_CFB 27 minutes ago
Top vertical jumps for TEs at #NFLCombine

Gold: Stephen Anderson, 38"
Silver: Ben Braunecker, 35.5"
Bronze: Beau Sandland, 35"
#ZEKEMODE
"He's a humble kid," notes Brown. "He's a very intelligent kid. He talks about a lot of things other than football. He's interested in a lot of things other than football. But he wants to be the greatest to put on pads, so I'm going to help him get there."

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:07 pm

Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris 29 minutes ago
TE Beau Sandland's 10'4" broad jump is tied for 9th best since 2006.
Like this one.
#ZEKEMODE
"He's a humble kid," notes Brown. "He's a very intelligent kid. He talks about a lot of things other than football. He's interested in a lot of things other than football. But he wants to be the greatest to put on pads, so I'm going to help him get there."

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:08 pm

Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris 33 minutes ago
Beau Sandland 2nd unofficial forty: 4.74. 10 yd of 1.68
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:08 pm

Bill Jones ‏@CBS11BillJones 38 minutes ago
Sterling Shepard kills it at Combine...4.48 w/2nd fastest 10 y split (1.55), ties for most bench reps (20) & best vertical (41) among WR
#ZEKEMODE

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:09 pm

The average of quarterbacks in 2013 in the 40-yard dash were 4.86. In 2014, the average was 4.86. The 40-yard dash isn't a critical test for quarterbacks. Last year, the top two quarterbacks had vastly different times, and both played well as rookies. Marcus Mariota had a time of 4.52 seconds and Jameis Winston was timed at 4.97.

North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz (6-5, 232) had a strong Combine performance. Wentz is a mobile and athletic quarterback who tied for the second-fastest 40 time of 4.77 seconds. In the field work, Wentz spun the ball well. Wentz had good footwork and quiet feet that led to him setting up well after dropping from under center. There were some throws where timing was a bit off, but Wentz was throwing to unfamiliar receivers. He did make some beautiful deep throws as well. Overall, the Combine went well for Wentz.

Cal quarterback Jared Goff had a nice showing at the Combine. Goff threw the ball well in the field drills. In the 40-yard dash, Goff posted a time of 4.82 seconds. He showed off a smooth, good release. He has quick feet and with an easy motion that led to some accurate passes. Goff's deep balls were a touch flat, and he needed more air underneath some of those throws. That in part illustrates that Goff has a quality arm, but not a powerful one. Overall, he had a strong showing at Indianapolis to confirm the high estimates with his draft projection.

Memphis quarterback Paxton Lynch (6-6, 244) had a solid day at the Combine. Lynch's 40 time was a bit slower than expected at 4.86, but he displayed the ability to do things with his feet in college. Lynch has the potential for good feet, but he needs development after not gaining experience working under center in college. Lynch's feet and setup are not as fast as Wentz or Goff's. Lynch lofted in some pretty passes downfield and displayed his strong arm in the field drills. Lynch's performance at the Combine won't cause him to leap ahead of Goff or Wentz, but it should keep him safe as the third quarterback and a first-rounder.

Penn State quarterback Christian Hackenberg (6-4, 223) had a Combine performance that was indicative of his last two seasons at Penn State. Hackenberg had a few passes off the mark, but also made some beautiful throws downfield showcasing a powerful arm. The ball comes out of his hands nicely on most throws, but a few were off the mark. Others were just perfect like a picturesque corner post deep downfield. In the 40-yard dash, Hackenberg was faster than expected with a time of 4.78, surprisingly quicker than running quarterbacks like Vernon Adams and Dak Prescott. Hackenberg was one hundredth of a second slower than Trevone Boykin, a former receiver who tied for second. Hackenberg confirmed that he has a good arm and the physical skills, but needs work as a passer.

There had been some talk that Michigan State quarterback Connor Cook would test well at the Combine, as he had more athleticism than one saw as a pocket passer for the Spartans. That proved to be all hype as Cook (6-4, 217) had a 40 time of 4.79 seconds, which was solid but not jaw-dropping. In the field drills, Cook threw well on the out passes especially. In college, he did well throwing to the sideline and launched a beautiful out route at the Combine. He also dropped in some nice deep balls. Overall, Cook threw pretty well in the field drills, but his team interviews were more important because NFL franchises have a lot of questions about Cook as a person.

At the Senior Bowl, Mississippi State quarterback Dak Prescott blew teams away in the meeting room and they loved his character, leadership, and football I.Q. Prescott was a little slower than expected in the 40-yard dash with an official time of 4.79 seconds. However, he did throw the ball well in the field drills. He was very smooth and comfortable making the drop from under center. The ball came out nicely and was catchable. Prescott put nice touch on his passes and showed quality feet to set up his throws. The Combine should only further invigorate Prescott's draft stock.

Ohio State quarterback Cardale Jones has a cannon for an arm, but unfortunately, it was never seen. Jones (6-5, 253) pulled a hamstring during one of his 40 runs and was done for the day. It was a sad turn of events that robbed Jones of being able to wow NFL evaluators with his rifle arm.
"How do we begin to covet? We covet what we see everyday"....Hannibal Lechter...The Silence of the Lambs

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:11 pm

SMH
Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 3 minutes ago
Jerry Jones: There's no question in my mind, Kellen Moore can win games in the NFL
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:12 pm

Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 7 minutes ago
Jerry Jones said he doesn't know yet if there's a QB in this draft worthy of the fourth overall pick
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:18 pm

Dan Turner ‏@dtsturner 1 minute ago
told Ron Blair that my comp for him is DeMarcus Lawrence. Said he's heard that a lot and he's honoured by it. Also said Dez caught the ball
:shock:
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:19 pm

Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 1 minute ago
Jerry Jones very confident they can get RB to go along with McFadden. Finding a good RB option won't be nearly as tough as upgrading defense
Hint...not in round one, two or three and maybe not at all.
#ZEKEMODE

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:20 pm

There are a number of teams who believe Jack Conklin will move into the draft's initial 15 picks after his workout yesterday.

Teams were also impressed with the workout of Le'Raven Clark, and many feel he has moved into the second round.

People at the combine believe free agent offensive tackle Mitchell Schwartz will eventually sign a contract that will average near or above $8 million annually.

I'm told the Colts are in no hurry to re-sign tight end Colby Fleener.

The belief at the combine is there will be a big market for Tashaun Gipson, and he's in line for a big pay day.

Keep an eye on Javon Hargrave of South Carolina State during tomorrow's defensive line workouts. I'm told he could move into the second day of the draft with a good combine performance.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Joel Stave's next level potential, but I'm told he will be drafted. Teams love his 6-foot-5 1/2, 235-pound frame and arm strength. While they admit he needs technical work, the feeling is Stave is worth a late-round pick and, at the very least, a spot on the practice squad.

Finally, those in attendance when Jaylon Smith weighed in yesterday tell me his injured leg looked terrible when he stepped on the scale. Smith struggled moving the leg as well as controlling the leg. I was told it was a glum mood and there was a lot of sadness for Smith from the scouts and coaches on hand. From one source I heard, "I felt like crying for the kid." There are a number of teams who think Smith could fall into the draft's last day.

If Smith is still there in the 4th....I'd take the chance.
"How do we begin to covet? We covet what we see everyday"....Hannibal Lechter...The Silence of the Lambs

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:22 pm

Chris Landry ‏@LandryFootball 1 minute ago Baton Rouge, LA
A little tip to understand Strider's speed on football field--If player at full speed stride covers 5yds in 2 steps=4.5 40---more = sub 4.5
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:22 pm

Chris Landry ‏@LandryFootball 6 minutes ago Baton Rouge, LA
Like players that reach 30 in the bench, vertical jump and test score b/c these are explosive athletes who are smart--usually become special
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:23 pm

Chris Landry ‏@LandryFootball 10 minutes ago Baton Rouge, LA
To determine if a player has explosive workout numbers, add the bench, vertical & broad jump #'s---anything near 70 is very good.
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:23 pm

Chris Landry ‏@LandryFootball 12 minutes ago Baton Rouge, LA
To determine if player's football speed matches his 40 time, subtract .05 from his 40 time and that should be his 20shuttle time--
#ZEKEMODE

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:24 pm

Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris 2 minutes ago
Devon Cajuste's 6.49 3-cone is 5th best for a WR since 2006.
#ZEKEMODE