List of players for the 2016 NFL Draft
34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Rodney Coe, DT/DE, Akron

Post by 34yearsnow » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:06 pm

HT WT HANDS ARMS WING SPAN 40 TIME
6'3 315 -- 32.5 80.5 --
Made great strides in his first season playing at defensive tackle … started the final four games … recorded 37 tackles, 5.0 TFL and two pass breakups … notched 4.5 TFL in the final five games of the year … tallied a career-high seven tackles vs. Baylor … had three tackles, 1.5 TFL, a pass breakup and QB hurry vs. TCU … averaged 4.0 tpg in the last five games.

Iowa Western
Chose Iowa State over offer from South Florida … three-star recruit according to rivals.com and ESPN … played two seasons for Iowa Western under coach Scott Strohmeier … helped the Reivers win the 2012 JUCO National Championship (12-0) … as a sophomore, played in 10 games, making 42 tackles … had nine tackles for losses of 38 yards … had 1 ½ sacks and forced two fumbles … in national title game (Graphic Edge Bowl), equaled season high with seven tackles and a tackle for loss … second-team all-conference choice … played at running back as a freshman, gained 468 yards on 80 carries and nine touchdowns.

High School
Rushed for more than 2,000 yards despite injuries … also played linebacker … ranked No. 2 by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch in its Super 30 in 2010 … selected to play in the U.S. Army All-American game … as a junior, rushed the ball 106 times for 978 yards and 12 touchdowns

Personal
Born May 18, 1993 … grandson of Floyd and Lois Ramsey … grandfather, Charlie Coe, has over 40 years of experience coaching in the NFL and in college … he is currently an assistant coach at Missouri Baptist … uncle, Michael, played in the NFL and won a Super Bowl ring with the New York Giants … liberal studies major.
"How do we begin to covet? We covet what we see everyday"....Hannibal Lechter...The Silence of the Lambs

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Re: Rodney Coe, DT/DE, Akron

Post by 34yearsnow » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:09 pm

Iowa Western Community College transfer Rodney Coe originally committed to the University of Iowa as a running back in college football’s class of 2011.

Coe eventually ended up in Council Bluffs as a defensive end. That is when Iowa State, among others, got hot on his trial.

“I went through there with Luke Wells two springs ago heading into his sophomore year,” explained defensive tackles coach Shane Burnham. “Here is a guy who played at 235 as a freshman at Iowa Western. By the time that I got there in April, he was already at like 260.”

Iowa State offered Coe as a 260-pound defensive end. When you consider that Iowa State’s most proven defensive end heading into the 2013 season, Willie Scott, is listed at 242, that’s a pretty nice sized prospect.

“We offered him at 260 not knowing where the growth was going to stop but knowing that he still had growth potential,” Burnham said.

Coe officially visited Iowa State in January.

“He was at 280 or 285,” Burnham said. “You kind of watch it from a distance and over time, we were like ‘Wow, this guy keeps getting bigger and bigger.’”

On National Signing Day 2013, Coe signed with Iowa State as a defensive end but there was always an imaginary asterisk beside his name. Coe becoming a defensive tackle was always a very real possibility.

When Iowa State’s fall camp begins next Monday, Coe, who is now listed as a defensive tackle, will weigh in at around 305 pounds according to Burnham.

“You would never guess that he is at 305,” Burnham said. “You would guess 275 but he is 305.”

It’s hard to play a 305-pound man at defensive end, especially when you need bodies in the middle. Factor in Collin Bevins’ mid-summer departure from the program and Iowa State’s decision to play Coe at tackle in the fall was an easy one to make.

“He made the decision for us,” Burnham said. “He just got to a point where he had grown so much.”

Selfishly, Burnham couldn’t be happier about this development. Defensive ends coach Curtis Bray likely disagrees.

“We offered him as a defensive end knowing that he had the frame that if he did grow into a three-technique, he could go inside and play,” Burnaham said. “The whole time I was crossing my fingers. I wanted him to keep getting heavier because I wanted him.”

Coe is listed as a second-string defensive tackle on Iowa State’s pre-camp depth chart behind junior Brandon Jensen. Without question, Coe’s development will be one of the top storylines to follow throughout Iowa State’s fall camp leading into the 2013 season.
"How do we begin to covet? We covet what we see everyday"....Hannibal Lechter...The Silence of the Lambs

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:14 pm

It seems as though every year we hear about the unlikely story of one player or another making it to the NFL. This year, Rodney Coe would have to qualify as one of the more unlikely ones. He played for three different college teams (Akron, Iowa State, Iowa Western), originally committed to another (Iowa) and went through one of the more bizarre position changes you're likely to see.

At Edwardsville High School in Illinois, Coe grew up playing running back. Coming out of high school, he stood 6'3" and weighed 230 lbs, but his mind hadn't always been focused on the gridiron. "I always grew up watching football because I liked it. It was a good way growing up to take out my anger. But basketball was definitely my first love," he says. With offers from Notre Dame, Florida, Auburn, Arkansas and Illinois, among others, he was undoubtedly sought-after coming out of high school. Everyone wanted a look at the RB/LB who played aggressively both ways, including rushing for over 2,000 yards in high school. After a decorated high school tenure, Coe committed to the Iowa Hawkeyes. That's when things changed.

Coe says now of that senior year in high school, "I wasn't the smartest, ACT scores came out, I didn't score high enough. That's why I had to go to junior college." Coe ultimately was forced to go to Iowa Western Community College, where he played two seasons for the Reivers. When he arrived, it was back to old habits in the offensive backfield, but things had changed: "Once I found I was going to junior college, I kinda got in a little downer stage and I just did my own thing, which was I picked up probably 25-30 pounds of weight going to junior college. So then, first year of junior college, I played running back at 260." Coe had 80 carries for 468 yards and 8 TDs that year.

The next season, reality shifted again for the young man. "Like they say, you gain your freshman 30, I gained my freshman 30, so then I got up to 290, and that's when they let me know, 'You definitely aren't playing running back any more!'" he joked with a laugh. The high school All-American Bowl participant at linebacker was developed at defensive line, capable of playing inside or outside.

That versatility and athletic talent drew some attention from Division I programs, and after Iowa Western completed a 12-0 season, topped with a Junior College National Championship victory, interest in Coe only increased. He ultimately stayed inside the state of Iowa, committing to the Iowa State Cyclones. He started four games and totaled 36 tackles for a 3-9 squad, before his attitude got him into trouble again.

In March of 2014 following the season, Coe was dismissed from the program after an undisclosed violation of team rules. To this day, he still regrets it. "Until Iowa State, I was one of those dudes coming from high school who was the best player on the team and I really didn't have any discipline. Going to junior college, it was kind of still the same way. I had a little discipline but not really, so I did my own thing. And then I was in that same mood at Iowa State. I was just one of those players who put themselves before the team, broke the rules, and one of those guys I guess you would say was a cancer to the team." For the third time in three years, Coe found himself without a football home.

That dismissal was a wake-up call to Coe. He said, "Once I got kicked off, that was when it really clicked. I was like, you better fix it now, this is my final chance at playing the game I love." He decided to get serious and transferred to Akron, who had expressed interest after his JUCO tenure, to play his final year of eligibility. There, he sat out a year per NCAA transfer rules before returning to the field for the Zips.

Akron would go 8-5 in 2015 with a bowl victory. Their defense suffocated running attacks, allowing just 89.8 yards per game (third in the nation), bolstered in part by Coe's 47 tackles, including 9.0 TFL and 2.5 sacks. His 56-yard fumble return in the waning moments of the first half of the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl helped build an early lead against Utah State. On the season, he received Third-Team All-MAC honors and received a further invitation in the postseason to the College Gridiron Showcase All-Star Game.

There, Coe flashed that same versatility that he'd developed since the transition from RB to DL back at Iowa Western. "They don't use the word finesse with big guys, but I believe I have a little finesse," he laughed again. "I'm a big guy, I'm 315, but I don't move like I'm 315. I can play inside, outside, I can run with maybe the best of them." On tape, he plays like exactly what he is: a defensive lineman with a running back's mentality and talent. He's still raw in reading offensive flows, but his athletic ability is evident and he is very quick on the field.

Coe's draft stock is now undoubtedly on the rise, so seemingly unlikely for a guy who was a transfer afterthought to Akron just two years ago. He has visits set up with two playoff teams already and spoke extensively with twenty teams at the Showcase, which he now describes as "a very humbling experience," a departure from the flippant attitude with which he treated earlier programs.

You're likely to hear many success stories this offseason, but don't forget that of Rodney Coe.

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:58 pm

#ZEKEMODE
"He's a humble kid," notes Brown. "He's a very intelligent kid. He talks about a lot of things other than football. He's interested in a lot of things other than football. But he wants to be the greatest to put on pads, so I'm going to help him get there."

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:51 pm

Looks like a 3-tech athlete who can also play the 1-tech.

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:31 pm

#ZEKEMODE
"He's a humble kid," notes Brown. "He's a very intelligent kid. He talks about a lot of things other than football. He's interested in a lot of things other than football. But he wants to be the greatest to put on pads, so I'm going to help him get there."

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:36 pm

Quick Twitch guy for sure.
#ZEKEMODE

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:53 pm

RAIDERRED wrote:Quick Twitch guy for sure.
He's worth a pick.....I don't know that they'll see it like that.....I'm betting they want to sneak him through and sign him after.

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:03 pm

34yearsnow wrote:
He's worth a pick.....I don't know that they'll see it like that.....I'm betting they want to sneak him through and sign him after.
He has visits set up with two playoff teams already and spoke extensively with twenty teams at the Showcase
#ZEKEMODE

Fairweather
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by Fairweather » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:34 pm

Everyone's favorite free agent.
I Am Ironman. The Suit And I Are One.

34yearsnow
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by 34yearsnow » Sun May 01, 2016 5:08 am

34yearsnow wrote:
Called that one.

RAIDERRED
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Post by RAIDERRED » Sun May 01, 2016 10:43 am

34yearsnow wrote:
34yearsnow wrote:
Called that one.
:bowbow:
#ZEKEMODE

since1972
Team Captain
Team Captain

Post by since1972 » Sun May 01, 2016 2:27 pm

Fairweather
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by Fairweather » Mon May 02, 2016 4:58 pm

:gentleman:
I Am Ironman. The Suit And I Are One.