Zeke suspended!

If it not specific to a certain category, put it here.
John
Site Man-at-Arms
Site Man-at-Arms

Zeke suspended!

Post by John » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:19 pm

Six games for violating personal conduct policy. Just....wow. No charges, no evidence and bam. :lowblow:
"I'm Batman!"

coolnerd
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Zeke suspended!

Post by coolnerd » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:06 am

MEMBERS OF THE EXTERNAL EXPERT ADVISORY PANEL

PETER HARVEY, former Attorney General for the State of NEW JERSEY.
KEN HOUSTON, former player, 1967-72 Oilers, 1973-80 REDSKINS.
TONYA LOVELACE, Chief Executive Officer of The Women of Color Network, Inc.
MARY JO WHITE, served as US Attorney for the Southern District of NEW YORK and Chair of the Securities & Exchange Commission in WASHINGTON DC.

I'm not claiming they were biased, but if there was any "benefit of the doubt" to be had, he sure as **** wasn't getting it from this group.

The Playmaker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Playmaker » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:15 am

welcome to todays NFL, I said this during the whole Brady saga - NFL is out of control.

Mara and Goodell are best buds. NFL offices are full of ex Giant and Jets workers. Totally biased.

JJ already bent over once for Roger on the whole uncapped capped year penalty, JJ told Kraft to stand down regarding the Brady punishment - lets see if JJ follows his own advice,

Fairweather
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by Fairweather » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:24 pm

I'm actually looking forward to going undefeated during Zeke's suspension. It would be amazing for the team and for Zeke to see that he needs to stay far away from trouble because we can win without him. It also looks like I'll be looking at early to mid-round RBs in the upcoming draft just in case.
I Am Ironman. The Suit And I Are One.

John
Site Man-at-Arms
Site Man-at-Arms

Post by John » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:09 pm

Last week, the father of Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott declared himself to be “ready for the show down.”

On Monday, Stacy Elliott provided some more details about how things will play out, now that the NFL has suspended his son for six games.

“My son’s legal team is ready to fight!” Stacy Elliott tweeted on Monday morning. “Let’s deal!!!! You will know the set up and PLOT!”

The tweet contains excerpts from a new Fort Worth Star-Telegram story from Clarence E. Hill. Jr. regarding a review of certain documents from the case — documents that have yet to be publicly released.

According to the report, the documents reveal threats from Tiffany Thompson to Ezekiel Elliott, apparently coming after Elliott tried to distance himself from her. “I’m going to ruin your life,” she allegedly said when Elliott told her that her didn’t want her at his house. “You will see.”

When Ezekiel Elliott told Thompson that she wasn’t welcome at his birthday party, she allegedly said, “That’s the worst decision you made in your life. I’m going to ruin your life now.”

Ezekiel Elliott contends, based on the documents, that Thompson told him, “You are a black male athlete. I’m a white girl. They are not going to be believe you.”

So far, the NFL has believed Thompson just enough more than Elliott to tip the scales of in-house justice in her favor. Moving forward, the question is whether the court of public opinion and, ultimately, whoever handles the appeal will agree.

However it turns out, it’s abundantly clear that a fight is coming.
"I'm Batman!"

John
Site Man-at-Arms
Site Man-at-Arms

Post by John » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:12 pm

Conflicting reports have emerged in recent weeks regarding the direct participation of Commissioner Roger Goodell in the events preceding the suspension of Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott. Although, as Friday’s letter to Elliott makes abundantly clear, Goodell made the decision to suspend Elliott six games, Goodell did not personally attend the most important meeting regarding the investigation.

The NFL, after previously not commenting on the matter, has acknowledged that Goodell was not present for the June 26, 2017 hearing that preceded the issuance of discipline. Deadspin.com reported in late July that Goodell didn’t attend any of the hearings involving Elliott.

“On June 26, 2017, you and your representatives had an opportunity to meet personally with [the four] independent advisors [Peter Harvey, Ken Houston, Tonya Lovelace, and Mary Jo White] to discuss you recollection of the events of the week of July 16, 2016, you relations with [Tiffany] Thompson, the March 2017 [St. Patrick’s Day parade] incident, and other issues you and your representatives believed were pertinent to our review,” the August 11 letter informing Elliott of his suspension explains. “The advisors had an opportunity to engage directly in discussions with you, and to hear your counsel’s assessment of the legal, evidentiary and credibility issues presented in this case.”

With credibility being such a critical aspect of this matter, it’s difficult to make a conclusion about Elliott’s credibility without personally attending the June 26 hearing. While the independent advisors serve as a bit of a buffer, their assessment of Elliott’s overall credibility is no substitute for the credibility assessment made by the person making the decision.

Per a source with knowledge of the investigation, Goodell also did not meet with Tiffany Thompson, whose credibility also is at issue.

That’s a clear deviation from standard legal proceedings, especially where a case turns on the resolution of a dispute in witness testimony and recollection. In most if not all other cases, the person making the decision personally assesses the credibility of the key witnesses.

Indeed, when recalling facts and answering questions on matters that are sharply contested, what a person says is only part of the puzzle. How the person says it — demeanor, body language, tells, etc. — is as important, if not more important.

On a matter of such importance and sensitivity to the league, to the Cowboys, and to Elliott, with one of the NFL’s brightest young stars being branded a domestic abuser under a very low 51-49 standard of proof, how can a reliable decision be made if the person making the decision did not directly assess the credibility of the witnesses?

Here’s the truth: It can’t. While the four independent advisors may individually and collectively be capable of assessing witness credibility, they weren’t the ones making the decision. The person who made the decision needed to be in the room, studying every word, facial expression, and gesture. Without that, the grade on the Commissioner’s decision as to Elliott is incomplete, at best.
"I'm Batman!"

The Playmaker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Playmaker » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:33 am

All of this does not matter. After the Brady saga, it is clear that the NFL can suspend players at will without cause. Zeke can be 100% innocent and it does not matter. If he played for the Giants, then he would have been cleared...

John
Site Man-at-Arms
Site Man-at-Arms

Post by John » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:24 am

A reader implored me via email on Monday to pick a side in the Ezekiel Elliott case. Here’s the side I’ve picked: The truth, and getting to it.

We’ve learned in recent years that the NFL’s version of the truth in matters of discipline may not always square entirely with the truth, given the apparent habit of selecting an outcome and working backward to justify it. And so it’s impossible in this case to conclude that the contents of the NFL’s public statement or its letter to Elliott explaining the suspension represent the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Eventually, more evidence will emerge that will better equip the jurors in the court of public opinion to get to the truth, or at least to formulate reasonable (or unreasonable) opinions about it. For now, the NFL has declined to release publicly information that would shed plenty of light on whether Elliott is guilty of domestic violence: the 160-page investigative report, more than 100 exhibits, and the transcript of the June 26 hearing.

It remains to be seen whether the report, the exhibits, or the transcript will be leaked. If/when litigation happens, those documents likely will become part of the public record.

While those materials may not ultimately allow a clear conclusion to be reached regarding what is or isn’t the truth, the truth is that it’s impossible to even begin to get there without seeing the raw materials on which the decision to suspend Elliott was based.
"I'm Batman!"

The Playmaker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Playmaker » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:09 am

The 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals denied Brady’s request for a rehearing of his four-game suspension for allegedly deflating footballs during a 2015 playoff game. By doing so, the Court essentially approved of NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell acting as the judge, jury, prosecutor, and executioner in league disciplinary hearings.

Although a seemingly unfair process, the Court was right when it ruled 2-1 in April that such a lopsided disciplinary system was exactly what Tom Brady and the NFLPA consented to in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

The Steelers have always been vocal about Goodell’s unchecked powers, but they had enough foresight to fear that the he could exploit the vague language in the CBA to the players’ disadvantage. Unfortunately, the NFLPA did not listen. Instead, they ratified a particularly troubling section of the CBA — Article 46 — which granted the Commissioner broad power to discipline players for “conduct detrimental to the integrity of, or public confidence, in the game of professional football.”

Exactly what that means is anyone’s guess. Why the NFLPA did not further define “conduct detrimental to the game,” specify limits to Goodell’s power, or mandate a neutral arbitrator should puzzle even first-year law students who likely could have negotiated a better deal.

Indeed, that is why the 2nd Circuit deferred to Goodell’s decision to reinstate Brady’s suspension. Judge Parker held that If it is seriously believed that these procedures were deficient or prejudicial, the remedy was to address them during collective bargaining. Had the parties wished to otherwise limit the arbitrator’s authority, they could have negotiated terms to do so.

John
Site Man-at-Arms
Site Man-at-Arms

Post by John » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:29 am

NFL report shows Tiffany Thompson suggested blackmailing Elliott over sex videos

Posted by Mike Florio on August 16, 2017, 9:34 AM EDT

The NFL won’t be releasing the 160-page investigative report generated in the Ezekiel Elliott case. And maybe we’re starting to see why.

Via Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports, the report contains a text-message exchange in which Thompson discusses with a friend the idea of selling sex tapes of herself and Elliott. At one point, the friend says, “[W]e could blackmail him w[ith] that.”

Says Thompson in response: “I want to bro.”

Thompson also admitted to registering an email address with the title “ezekielelliot sex vids.”

Here’s the full text exchange, from the NFL’s report as obtained by Robinson:

[Thompson]: What if I sold mine and Ezekiel’s sex videos

[Friend]: We’d all be millionaires

[Friend]: We could black mail him w that

[Thompson]: I want to bro

[Friend]: Let’s do it

[Thompson]: Scared

[Friend]: crud

[Friend]: Id be like look give me 10k or I’ll just sell our sex videos for the same amount flat

[Friend]: Me and my friends tryna go on vacation and get boob jobs . . . .

[Thompson]: 10k female dog persuasion I want 20k

[Thompson]: Go big or go home

[Friend]: That’s fine too

None of this means that Elliott didn’t commit domestic violence. But these kinds of schemes go directly to Thompson’s credibility. As PFT previously has explained, Commissioner Roger Goodell met in person with neither Elliott nor Thompson to assess their credibility before deciding that Elliott was guilty as charged.
"I'm Batman!"

John
Site Man-at-Arms
Site Man-at-Arms

Post by John » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:04 pm

The first, and most important, decision regarding the Ezekiel Elliott has been made.

The NFL has announced (as a practical matter) that Harold Henderson will handle the Elliott appeal.

Under the labor deal, the Commissioner has the ability to handle the appeal personally or delegate it to someone else. Many believed Goodell would handle it on his own; however, because he made the initial decision (even though he wasn’t present for the hearing), it was unlikely that he would have been the one to review it.

Goodell could have assigned the matter to a truly independent party. Goodell ultimately opted not to surrender the outcome to someone who would have been handling the case as a one-and-done project. Henderson, by virtue of the fact that the league regularly hires him to provide appeal services, is viewed as someone who will be inclined to rubber stamp the decision from the league — even if he hasn’t always done that. (More on that in a subsequent post.)

As a practical matter, the chances of Elliott completely overturning the suspension have dropped significantly. (At best, he’ll get a mild reduction.) As a result, this increases significantly the possibility of a lawsuit eventually being filed.
"I'm Batman!"

MattN
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by MattN » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:57 am

David Moore ✔ @DavidMooreDMN
Can confirm Roger Goodell has designated Harold Henderson to hear Ezekiel Elliott appeal on Aug. 29. Henderson reduced Greg Hardy suspension
10:52 AM - Aug 16, 2017

MattN
War Room Member
War Room Member

Post by MattN » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:58 am

I'm thinking it will be reduced to two games.. Although, he shouldn't get anything.

The only thing that will completely vindicate him is if the accuser comes out and says she flat-out lied. However, she'd incriminate herself, so there's a Lombardi trophy in Cleveland chance of that.

Fairweather
All-Pro
All-Pro

Post by Fairweather » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:09 pm

Cleveland's gonna be pretty good.
I Am Ironman. The Suit And I Are One.

John
Site Man-at-Arms
Site Man-at-Arms

Post by John » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:54 pm